81 users online (0 members and 81 guests)  

Related

1. Website development tools    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
    New User

Status

SVG development tools

Hello, I am brand new here. I am interested in SVG but not coding it more from a design point of view. I am pretty good with flash, and there is always discussion on how stupid flash is, but that isn't the case you can do great things with it, or you can do stupid things. When designers do stupid things it seems to scream "I am flash" but of course when it is done right, nobody knows or cares, it is just something they like. I am not really here for that kind of discussion but rather, I want to stay on top of SVG just in case its advocates are right and Flash won't be supported in up coming browsers and you know all the talk. I am evaluating the packages to see what comes closest to replicating the functionality of flash with all its interactivity and scripting ability. Yes, I know you can mix Xml and javascript from the output, but frankly that is way to much work, I want something eventually that just does all that and lets me get on with the design. There are as far as I can see a handful off packages under $400 and a few that are more expensive.

I have seen a couple of demos created by Adobe Illustrator and they look good, of course you don’t' know how much post processing was done, that is one thing about SVG, that may be somewhat of an advantage, you can always edit the output, but frankly I don't want to. I am not sure why, I guess because their literature talked about interactivity but in any case I downloaded a program call Mobile Designer. Its claim to fame is they are not only going after the desktop market but also mobile phones. I must admit I know nothing about mobile phones, I have a 3 watt bag phone that is 10 years old, some day I must stop and find out what they are all about, just from a design point of view. I am in the early stages of trying the program, and it has a nice 60 day trial period, which is good because it may take that long to get good with it. This one is $399 and has some nice features but no where near the power I am use to, but compared to most of the others that were in the $50 range it had some built in things that you would have to edit the output to get with the cheaper ones, which just seem to be graphics generators. I suspect the difference with Adobe is even greater and might be worth the extra money.

I will post results from any testing that I do and I am hoping that there will be a few people that will be interested and contribute and in a couple of years we will be SVG giants and everyone else will be playing catch up.

Administrator

Status
    While I never got the hang of flash development (a month staring at flash 5 made me realise I just could not get my head around it), I am intrigued by SVG. I will be very interested in the results of your research.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Well, after 2 days of working with Mobile Designer by Beatware, I have been able to do a couple of small things and I think that just about everything I want to do this program is capable of doing. But I am still uninstalling it. The drawing tools are limited at best, although it does have some nice shape effects that are easy to use but that is just for primary shapes, if you really want to draw something like the face on my avatar, I am afraid you would be there a very long time. That face is something I did in flash, converted to an animated gif for such applications, but here it just shows as a static gif. It isn't that the program isn't without its nice features, it is just not very intuitive which makes is brutally hard to accomplish anything. There is no real help system, just a pdf file that just isn't very helpful. There doesn't seem to be any user forum and when I asked them if there was one, I didn't even get a reply, so unless your willing to go it totally alone, this may not be the program for you and certainly it isn't for me. The bottom line is, I just don't like this company, the product isn't very well thought out and with the lack of communication with the user, I doubt it will ever get any better.

On the other hand I think I have found something better and cheaper, although this is just from their website information, I am in the middle of a 27Mb upload so as soon as it is finished I am going to download Web Engine by Virtual Mechanics. It is 1/4 the price at $99. Has a nice tutorial section and a user forum and just by looking at their screen shot I can see how to do things that I haven't figured out yet how to do with Mobile Designer. The drawings tool are more in line with what one is use to using with a vector graphics package. I am excited about trying this one.

I will keep you posted.