48 users online (1 members and 47 guests)  

New User

Status

G'day from down under

Hi peeps,

Very awesome forum you have here

I'm a self tuaght web programmer with no programming background and am very computer iliterate. I learned everything I know about web design and programming from the net.

Currently i'm working on making a text based multiplayer rpg of sorts with php, mysql and a lil bit of JS.

I have a simple version of the game up and running http://www.nesperion.net and am now working on a more complex vesrion.

It's just a hobby with the intention of teaching myself how to program in php. I don't have much of a player base(which dosn't bother me at the moment because i'm on a limited budget for bandwidth atm) but feel free to give it a go.

The hardest thing about teaching yourslef any programming language is that most tutorials assume that you already know at least one other programming language. Anyways thats enough spam from me for now, i'll see ya all around on the forums here

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Haha... cool... good to have you!

I created a character on your RPG (being the avid RPGer I am)... now I have something to do in those lulls of uncreativity--mindlessly slaughter "wandering bums"... /manicallaugh!

-David

New User

Status
    cool, hope u have fun
    I know it's a pretty dodgy game and needs some work but it's my first attempt at putting together a script that something other echo "hello world" lol

Some of my code in there is majorly messy but for the most part it works

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Hehe.. yeah.. I taught myself QBasic and VB making games and proggys to help me survive calculus and such in high school and college... I didn't think to make games with web pages to teach me... I guess I was already in business/consulting and focued on that. Anywho... it's very cool so far and gives me something to do while I sit in a conference room ignoring my coworkers--I can slaughter!

One suggest (I'll post to your forum)... make the "explore" and directionals have hot keys... clicking to a keyboarder can drive a keyboarder insane. Especially if you have to click "explore" a couple million times. (^_^)

Good luck and welcome!

-David

New User

Status
    Hmm, didn't know it was possible to do hot keys on a page with php/JavaScript?? I wouldn't know where to start there.

I figure maybe it could be done with Java(not to be confused with JS) or flash but I don't really know anything about the both of them.

Unless you mean comand words entered via the chat??

I'll keep it in mind to look at those options if/when i come accross any tricks that will let me do it.

All feedback, comments and suggestions are very welcome -keep in mind it's a spare time thing and progress is very very slow if it moves at all.

Anyways, thx for checking it out and thanks for the feedback, it much appreciated.

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Give this a look:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/accesskey.html

-David