37 users online (1 members and 36 guests)  

Related

1. help with hyperlinks-underline and color    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. hyperlinks don't work    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. <ss> tag and hyperlinks    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  4. Hyperlinks fading!    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
    New User

Status

Hyperlinks and frames

We enjoy the "benefits" of a web site where the main navigation bar is in the "top" frame.... Actual content is displayed in the "other" frame.
    Problem is that any external hyperlink, included in an email, that points to any content page, brings up that page without the top frame, that is without the navigation bar.

I am sure that we are not the first ones to be confronted with that kind of problem and any simple idea to resolve this would be a great help.

Besides the obvious and drastic solution: "get rid of the frames" I was, vaguely and conceptually, thinking of a solution that would include the following:
    - create a "blank" secondary home page that would include the top frame (navigation bar)
    - use a simple redirect (or refresh) command in the "other" frame that would point to the "content" page
    As I can't just create one of these for every hyperlink, I would need to pass the "targeted" address through a variable .... This may be very simple but I don't have a clue as to how to do it ... It could just as well be impossible ....

Any helpful suggestion will be appreciated

Administrator

Status
    Hiya,

sorry for the delay in reply, my isp is having difficulties. Im connected using Netscape Online at the moment, grrr.

Woo, this ones a doozy. I have written so many scripts to break out of frames, but no-ones wanted to put them back in afterwards!

I know how I would handle it. My links would look like this

Code:
    <a href="navbar.php?page=contacts">Contact link</a>
    I would then have a javascript that loads this page, and a PHP insert that would write the page name into the JavaScript -

(urk, can't think of any JS! eep!)
    Code:
    <? echo $page;?>
    How are you with PHP? I have found that JavaScript actually becomes quite useful with PHP!
    let me know.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

Unhappy

I guess this would take more than I can chew on by myself and will pass your response to our web development team ... the ones that buit the web site with frames in the first place.
    Thanks