57 users online (1 members and 56 guests)  

Related

1. How to write articles!    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 12
  2. document.write question    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 5
  3. Where do I write HTML    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status

Response.Write to PDF?

Hello!

I'm working on a project that needs to automagically generate a PDF file and present it to the user. I've seen several products and such that provide these services; however, the ones that actually work seem to require a license. (^_^)

Anyone been down this road and willing to share their experiences? At this point, I'm not real picky--if it's a registered .dll/.ocx file that I can call as an Object and Response.Write into it or an object that I can call as a script and point to a specific page (e.g. HTTP_REFERRER)... but I'm sure something exists out there.

I have tinkered with WebSuperGoo's ABCpdf; however, I can't get it to recognize the .dll is registered. (>_<)'

Thanks in advance!

-David

Administrator

Status
    I spent two days doing a similar search for a purchasing system where I used to work. abcPDF was the only option, I would suggest perservering with that to get it registered.

For my own, I eventually made a SOAP service to outsource the job to a unix server. Seemed simpler at the time, and who cares when I don't work there anymore
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Dean --

Haha.. that thought had crossed my mind because we have a Crystal engine that builds PDFs for another application on one of our Solaris boxes... but... yeah... hmm... I still DO work here and would have to support it every time crystal changes their .dlls.

I'll keep hitting the abcPDF... it looks like a good product; just needs some tweaking.

-David

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Finally got ABCpdf to work and am working on tweaking it.

Dean--do you know any quick/easy/effecient way to feed a dynamic page back to it? I can toss a specific URL to it to generate; however, I don't see a call to pull the current page. e.g. User does a query of a database and wants a PDF printout of the results.

Thanks!

-David

Administrator

Status
    I never got that far with it However, if you can pass a URL to it, as long as the page is generated using request.querystring (ie if a form, them method="get" ) then you should be able to throw a dynamic url at it? maybe
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Hmm... yeah... unfortunatly, doing a POST from the form into a page that pulls the form entries, builds a SQL statement, then runs. Hmmmmmm... something to tinker with. (^_^)

Thanks!

-David