50 users online (0 members and 50 guests)  

Status

preloader script

hello all, long time no post...

anyway, i'm working on an online portfolio for an artist here in knoxville. a lot of her is installations that have sound, so she's got little videos go to with the images that will be displayed. she's a mac user and has edited the video's to quicktime format.

the problem: they're huge files that take a while to load.

while they're loading they just show a black screen with no indication that they're loading (since she didn't want the control bar displayed.)

so, i've searched high and low for a preloader script and can't find a thing. it doesn't have to be fancy... just something that say's "loading", then display's the video after it's loaded.

anyone know of a solution?

thanks for reading!
    robert koons

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Hmm, I've used this for preloading images... just not videos; perhaps the theory would work the same... it's still treated as a "file".

It's a cool DHTML/JavaScript preloader tool with external JavaScript file and, from what I've seen, is pretty much totally cross-browser functional.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/preloadimage2.htm

Hope this helps or leads you where you need to go.

Thanks!

-David

Status
    that's a cool script, but it won't work for this application. i've tried various image loaders and non of them work for video files.

any other ideas?
    robert koons

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    You say it is in Quicktime... what about converting it to Flash or something and building a preloader?

Just a random thought... I'll do a bit of searching around in the morning (sitting in class atm) to see if I can find anything else.

-David

Status
    i really hate dealing with flash with video... but i will if i have to.

seems like this would be a easy to find script, with all the video content these days.

here's the site i'm working on: candicelewis.com

if you click 'installation', then click any of the thumbs you'll be on a page with three vertical preview images that you can scroll though by clicking them.

the grey box to your right is where there will be a link to see the video for each work. it plays in the grey box and doesn't have the control bar (to hit play or pause)... which is the problem. when you click to see the video it opens on a black screen until part of it is loaded... THEN it starts to play.

but if you're not familiar with quicktime you'd think it wasn't working.

does that make sense?
    robert koons

Tired Student...(Z_z)

Status
    Yeah, that helps a lot.

What about this:
    http://www.streamingmedia.com/tutorials/view.asp?tutorial_id=142

Still goes back to Flash, but using Flash to create a "preloader" that calls the Quicktime movie... the examples are blocked by our firewall (>_>), so I can't test how valid the examples are to your situation.

Let me hunt around a bit more and see what more I can find. (^_^) You might (though I'm sure you have), just hit up Google, Dogpile, etc for 'Quicktime preload' or something... that's how I found that (and 30 other) Flash preloader scripts.

Thanks!

-David
    Last edited by dlongnecker; 10-11-2004 at 07:05 AM.