38 users online (2 members and 36 guests)  

Thread: newguy is a bot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    New User

Status

newguy is a bot

I found this page in my logs and thought I would use it to identify him http://www.spiffysoft.com/myposter/
    http://www.spiffysoft.com/myposter/boards.php

It was not hard to find out what member it was , thois guy makes lots of posts but is never around for the follow up.

Now the interesting part, what will happen when I hit send? Will it make the posts to this long list of foruims under the newsguy name, will it make it under my name on only the forums I am a member of and have the appropriate cookie or will it not post at all?

Dave Bailey
    http://www.ahfb2000.com/
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Funny stuff I cant believe it worked lmao.

This message was sent to over 100 forums on his list using his own software to do it.

New User

Status
    LOL... well spotted, Dave... we just got your message.

Aaron

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Glad to help

Administrator

Status

He has 234 forums on his spam list that with a click of a button gets his crap.

New User

Status
    Actually, in his defence, he has in fact visited our place and posted replies there too. Still cheeky, though!

Aaron

Administrator

Status

Probably only visited to make certain his spam went through correctly and upon seeing replies thought he would make a follow up pitch.

Dave

New User

Status
    Thanks for the headsup!!! I also banned him on PulseToday.com........ No point wasting our breath answering someone who would never respond :P

Another point, Jelsoft needs to be notified about it so that they can see how it happened :P

New User

Status
    Maybe, maybe...

Scary to think that someone can post across so many forums so easily. Had he been a little more astute, simply password protecting that page would probably have allowed him to get away with this for a lot longer...

Aaron

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by altyfc
    Actually, in his defence, he has in fact visited our place and posted replies there too. Still cheeky, though!

Aaron
    Yeah, He did respond on one of our threads too..... But hey, it has a lot of spamming potential :P

Administrator

Status

I neglected to welcome you Aaron, Alkso welcome to you pulsetoday Sorry but I have been checking out the list of forums looking for responses, I did not intend to be unfriendly

Ironic that jelsoft (VBulletin) is on his spam list. It is not a flaw in the VB system as I see other forum software being spammed as well.

Dave

New User

Status
    Thanks, Dave... yes, we're on phpBB and we're getting them, so it's not VB specific.

Aaron

New User

Status
    Spam bots is not a new thing, though vBulletin had greatly eliminated the problem with recent upgrades in version three. The thing that I find curious about this one is that 'newsguy' posts were not exactly what I'd call spam. I had him on one of my forums, and generally very vigilent when it comes to spam. I didn't have any problem with the posts he made.

Administrator

Status

Welcome Peter

The biggest problem I have is when he pretends to have a question and wastes peoples time who are nice enough to give a helping hand, while the original post was fraudulant in the first place. It is taking advantage of others kindness for the sole purpose of putting backlinks on as many pages as is possible.

I have to much respect for all the people who spend their time here helping others to let them be scammed like this.

Funny how he is missing some of the forum big boys, but only the ones that do not allow signatures. Check out his list, it is all forums that allow sigs. no sig allowed...you are safe from him.

Dave

Dave

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    Spam bots is not a new thing, though vBulletin had greatly eliminated the problem with recent upgrades in version three. The thing that I find curious about this one is that 'newsguy' posts were not exactly what I'd call spam. I had him on one of my forums, and generally very vigilent when it comes to spam. I didn't have any problem with the posts he made.
    Peter, There is NO point in wasting breath if there would be no response back from the poster :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last