42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Related

1. HELP!! Racking my brain on a this CGI game...    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

I need HELP with my brain

Hi,
    I am the newbie and am trying to learn to take baby steps in webdesing by using Boxed Art or something like it to do webdesing for home business. I have noticed many portal sites templates or auction sites are one pagers with a place to log in or register a new user. How the heck does that work? Do in need to install mysql or php for people to register and upload photos to make the site Dynamic. These are all new words I have learned and have a book or two on HTML but few discuss this specific issue of adding active content like chat or using something like Crat Syntax Live Help. I am very confused on what PHP Nuke is and all the different scripts.
    Any suggestion much appreciated

New User

Status
    Sites that ask you to login are usually using some form of script and database sollution to create the page. The actual info on each user and the posts they have made is stroed in the database such as mysql. The php, asp, jsp or cgi does the job of pulling the relevent info out the database and comining it with some html to produce the site.

The majority of such dynamic sites are not coded individually. Instead the site owner gets a pre writen script. these can usually be skinned with some html so that each site looks different. But the background mechanics are the same for many sites. For example this site uses a forum script form vBulletin. There are hundreds of forums using the same script. Each one customised to suit the owners prefferances.

Course if you want to you can learn php and mysql and code your own scripts. Will take you longer. Just depends on what you want to gain out of doing the site. If you are interested in all the background workings, then code yourself. But if you are more interested in creating content and community, just use someone elses script.