33 users online (0 members and 33 guests)  

Related

1. Search engine traffic versus link traffic.    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 6
  2. Help with Netscape    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. divs versus layers in navigator/i.e.    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 5
    New User

Status

Unhappy netscape versus IE help???

Hi everyone,

I use netscape, fine no probs.
    Trying out IE ... I can't see applets off line, site is on local harddrive, no network. PC, WinMe. What do I need to do to fix this please.

thx kindly,
    mxw

Be Yourself

Status

could I get some kind of code on that?

that would help us better solve ur situation

New User

Status
    Hello Derek,

Thanks for responding. Oh, I understand that if I save a applet enhanced webpage from the internet, I probably won't get the class file to run the page. However, that's not the prob I'm having. The pages work fine running off the server. I have a copy of my website/directories/subdirectories/classfiles/etc/etc. Viewing these files Off-Line in Netscape 4.7 is no problem the applets run perfectly, all in all the pages work just dandy. Viewing in IE the applets are amiss and all I see are blank gray squares where the applets are placed on the page, links work, everything works, just the applets won't display. I'm looking at Netscape 6.1 as well now, ... and find the same problem. I think I need to configure the browsers somehow, but how?

Code?
    One of such page http://www.geocities.com/ArtistinGold/skinz/skinicq.html

(discovering another problem as the day passes
    but I'll address that later, and go one prob at a time here)

thx for the quick response.
    mxw

Be Yourself

Status

ok...

applets are not my specialty, but I'll try:

Here's a code to an applet I've had on my harddrive for about a year now

<applet code="plasmax.class" width="900" heighth="1500">
    <param name="text" value="This is my example# It is wonderful# But you cannot see it...">
    <param name="size" value="50">
    </applet>

Seeing that your applet works fine offline the ".class" is all right, so it must be the way you put the code in on the page. Put the "whatyoucallit.class" in the SAME directory as your html document (this'll make it easier to make sure the problem isn't with the url). Now put your code up like this.

<applet code="whatyoucallit.class">
    <param name="blah" value="blah">
    </applet>

Have you done all this and is there still problems? If so I just might have to look up applets myself...

New User

Status

what to do!

Derek ... You're right !
    I've been playing around here and found that IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.1 have a problem with the applet 'CODEBASE attribute'.

It works dandy *on-line from the server.

In my little experiment I found that OFFLINE both browsers need all files in one location. You can't even called a picture from an image directory. phooey. I can't imagine changing my site(s) 'very applet intense', not to mention the duplicating of applet class and image files.

Is there a solution?

thx, mxw

Be Yourself

Status

hmm...

if you have your .html file and your .class file(and whatever else) in the same directory, why do u need to duplicate them? if that's not it I didn't catch what u were sayin, could u explain it more if that's not the problem?

Unregistered

file management

Hi Derek,

>if you have your .html file and your .class file(and whatever else) in the same directory

No I don't. No they're not.
    My images are located /images
    My applets are located /classes

I guess primarily it all depends on the applets use, and consideration to the 'size of the website'. The number of .html files, subdirectories, etc. I prefer to separate my file *types, which is directly due to the vast amounts of files on my site ie: *downloadable webgraphics or graphics that are *used on site or *updated frequently.
    More: http://www.webcom.com/help/java/applet_tag.shtml
    see CODEBASE.

I get the feeling that no one ever really noticed/cared about the applet display thing in IE5.5/N6.1. If that's the case I'm going to hang-on to my N4.7 just so I can see my applets at a click of a button without having to go on-line. For me anyway, its how I work. (I keep all my apples in one barrel). Oh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thanks a-mil,
    mxw