37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Related

1. Populating Form Field from URL    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 6
  3. Variable in Form action field    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 4
  4. Extracting Form Field Values    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  5. Replies: 5
    New User

Status

Hi,
    I am new here and found this board while searching google for help with my form.

I use the ever popular formmail script - but I don't know how to find the version number on my host.

I have pasted a sample form response below and
    my first question is this:

In the body of the form email, how can I get the "submitted by ()" text string to actually say who it was submitted by? The senders email address is collected and does show in the form results which are emailed to me.

Question 2: In the header of the form mail response,
    the From: field shows FormMail Submission<>

Again, how can I get the senders email addy to appear in here?

Sample form response below
    ---------------

From: FormMail Submission <> To: mike188@mywebsite.com Priority: Normal

Subject: Info Pack Required Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:05

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by () on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 09:05:35
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FirstName: Michael

Surname: X

Phone: 01234-567890

address1: 80 Smith Road

city: Anywhere Town

postcode: LU1 234

----------------------------------------------------------
    My actual code appears below

<FORM method="POST" action="http://www.users.myhost.com/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl" name="FeedBack_Form">
    <INPUT type="hidden" name="recipient" value="mike188@mywebsite.com">
    <input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Info Pack Required">
    <input type="hidden" name="env_report" value="REMOTE_HOST,REMOTE_ADDR,HTTP_USER_AGENT">
    <input type="hidden" name="required" value="FirstName,Surname,Phone,address1,city,postcode">
    <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="http://www.mywebsite.com/thankyou.html">
    <INPUT type="hidden" name="sort" value="order:FirstName,Surname,emailaddress,Phone,address1,address2,city,postcode,Comments">
    <CENTER>
    <TABLE border="0" width="44%" bgColor="#6495ED">
    <TR>
    <TD align="center" width="40%"><B>First Name</B><font color="#FF0000"><b> *</b></font></TD>
    <TD align="center" width="60%"><INPUT type="text" size="24" name="FirstName"></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align="center" width="40%"><B>Surname</B><font color="#FF0000"><b> *</b></font></TD>
    <TD align="center" width="60%"><INPUT type="text" size="24" name="Surname"></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align="center" width="40%"><B>E-mail Address</B><font color="#FF0000"><b> *</b></font></TD>
    <TD align="center" width="60%"><INPUT type="text" size="24" name="emailaddress"></TD></TR>
    <TR>

Many things for any help.
    Michael

Administrator

Status
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

Obviously, I have not got much information on which formmail script you are using, I am going to assume you are using Matts Perl Formmail script.

If so, try using "email" instead of "emailaddress" and "realname" instead of first and last lane fields.

This is just a guess! I can't tell you any more without seeing the script itself.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status
    Just realised your also in the UK..you can't sleep either, huh? hate insomnia.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    Thanks for the reply Dean.
    Yep. Insomnia and frustration when things do not work.
    Actually, my web host is useless, but have a few more months of contract and will change.
    Have asked them for support but they say I must contact a web designer....

I have now asked them the version and name of the script. Because some of the fields are required, if a user misses one then it redirects to an error page which mentions London Perl Mongers, so guess they are not exactly the same scripts.

What I have done over time is bastardise the code by seeing what works for other people, and included it in my own.
    It has worked in a fashion, but because there was no 'From' address appearing in the form results email it was always being marked as spam.

Anyway, I did as you suggested and it works a treat, so and thank you.

Regards
    Michael

Administrator

Status
    Ah, superb. Sometime guesses work.

The UK Based host I use is superb, www.blackfoot.co.uk . Consider them when you change.