57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Thread: Password Check

Related

1. password protection    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Password Code    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
  3. Need help with a password html    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  4. password protection?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 9
  5. log in and password code    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 7
    New User

Status

Smile Password Check

Hey there! I'm new to these forums.
    I've been doing HTML since I was 10, but I always kept it simple and I'd like to go a bit further. I want to make a login page where the user enters his username and password, and my website should check the password if its correct (with an external javascript file). I know there is already a thread about this but I've never done javascript before and I need a little help. I have done Java before though so it shouldn't be too hard. Can you guys just tell me what to do? Thanks.

Administrator

Status
    Hiya, welcome to the forums.

Firstly, if you want to learn JavaScript, then these tutorials http://www.w3schools.org/js/default.asp can teach you far better than a forum can.

Once you have your "JavaScript Wings" you will have some more specific questions, your welcome to ask away and we should be able to answer you meaningfully.

One word of warning: A JavaScript password gate is not secure in any way! Anyone with the slightest JS experience could find your password and get in. if you want to make a secure password gateway, try learning a server-side language like PHP, ASP or Perl/CGI.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

Talking

I don't need an impossible-to-breach password gateway, nobody knows my site anyway and it's just a gateway to my MMORPG clan news

Unless another clan of the same game would visit my website and be curious enough to try to discover what's inside the clan, It'll be alright.

edit: and thanks for the help!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I understand you may not need security, but I would still suggest against JS. I say this because you stated that you are not familiar with JS. As long as your host allows PHP, you can install a ready made script.

If you are dying of thirst and your favorite drink is Pepsi, 1 step to the left gets you a 7-up, a step to the right gets you a Pepsi, 7-up will help with your thirst but you are going to go with the one that works the best for you, Pepsi. Take a right step and go for PHP.

Here is a link for some premade scripts http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/User_Management/Password_Protection/

Dave

New User

Status
    Thanks to you too!
    I just have one more off-topic question:

so far, I've only seen you two reply to topics in this forum. Is this because of user inactivity or is it because users can't reply?

Administrator

Status
    Users can reply, its just usually either Dave or myself are pretty much always on here, usually the first too see the questions
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    We will always welcome anybody who wishes to help others

Dave

P.S. Are you the same cedric from affiliate forums?