46 users online (1 members and 45 guests)  

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    New User

Status

Question Re: Your best and worst web host?

How about godaddy.com?

I really want to know which web hosting is the best.
    Hosting Plan between $3.00 to $5.00 per month.

Status

Re: Your best and worst web host?

Quote Originally Posted by eron7
    I really want to know which web hosting is the best.
    Hosting Plan between $3.00 to $5.00 per month.
    When you talk about price alone, you're only talking about part of the picture. What do you want in terms of service for that amount? In other words, how much disk space? How many email accounts? How much bandwidth? Do you need databases? If so, what kind? How many databases do you need? All these questions must be answered first before you start talking about price.

That said, and without knowing the specifics of what you're really looking for, I have one of my sites hosted with A Small Orange, and I couldn't be happier. That's on a Unix server. My other site, which is on a Windows server, is hosted with WebHost4Life, and I am equally as happy with their service. I would highly recommend either of these hosting companies to you.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

asmallorange does seem to have earned itself a decent reputation, I will have to see if I can find enough time to place them in the web hosting database here.

D
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Smile Re: Your best and worst web host?

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a good UK host?

I plan to set up a very small music label site offering downloads mp3.
    Payments through PaylPal via the Easybe shopping cart.
    I need min 500mb disk space, min 10gb bandwidth a month, MySQL and Php, and reliable of course.
    Any suggestions?

Also, is there any disadvantage to using a US host like ASmallOrange for a UK company?
    Will it make Google less likely to list it when people search from Google.co.uk?

Many thanks

Mat

Status

I can't help you with a UK host recommendation, but I can tell you that as far as google.co.uk is concerned, your hosting company doesn't matter at all to the search engines. They find a site and make a decision on whether or not to index it based on the site's content, not who it is hosted with or where it is hosted.

New User

Status

Hi Vinyl

How does Google know which sites are uk based even though they are .com, and don't have any mention of nationality?
    Which it appears to do.

I have heard people complain that certain hosts will be bad with Google.co.uk because their servers are based in Germany etc.
    Is this not true?

Thank you
    Mat

Status

Obviously, I don't know for sure just what criteria Google uses as a basis for which sites get indexed and which do not. What I see though when I do a cursory examination of SERPs from google.co.uk is that the information they present seems to lean toward UK-centric pages. There are always exception to that though, so who knows for sure?

New User

Status

Smile Re: Your best and worst web host?

Hi Vinyl

So how did Google or other search engines know that my previous .com sites were from the UK?
    and they never mentioned an address or anything location specific

The only thing I can think of is where the site is hosted.
    I hope not because I'm thinking of hosting on a US server, the ones in the UK seem to be a rip off.

Mat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mat

So how did Google or other search engines know that my previous .com sites were from the UK?
    and they never mentioned an address or anything location specific

Mat
    The only way they could know where your site is hosted is if they were to do a whois search while in the process of crawling your site. The bots alreadyhave enough to do without factoring that into their tasks. My personal opinion only, but what I see is content driven indexing, and at least some content that is specific to the UK. If your site fits that bill, I think that's what qualifies it to be included in google.co.uk.

Just my two and a half pence.

New User

Status

Hi Vinyl

I found some info on Googles site. They say country specific indexing is determined by where the server is hosted, the IP, WHOIS lookup and the domain name. They didnt even mention content!
    So judging by that, server hosting is pretty important, although I don't know how much importance it gives to each method. I would hope domain would come first?

Cheers
    Mat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mat
    I found some info on Googles site. They say country specific indexing is determined by where the server is hosted, the IP, WHOIS lookup and the domain name. They didnt even mention content! So judging by that, server hosting is pretty important, although I don't know how much importance it gives to each method. I would hope domain would come first?
    Not me. I would hope that content came first. Think about that for a minute. I'll bet that most searches you do are based on content,right? So why would a search engines first criteria for indexing a site be based on where the site was hosted?

I would never have figured that they used where the site was hosted in their criteria, so thanks for that information. Still, I don't personally think that would necessarily rank very high in the indexing criteria. Of course, I could be wrong.

New User

Status

Angry Re: Your best and worst web host?

the worst site host for me so far is 2nv. They wont send out any confirmation emails. I had my PTR site there and no confirmation mails. they said it was the script. so I was in the process of moving that and decided to put my surf site there low and behold again.I have lost over $400 thru them so far and am getting really ticked.

I actually got very unproffesional today with them.
    Hilda

New User

Status

I would just like to say one thing. I know this is a bit off beat but, Godaddy is not the greatest host in the world. They have competative prices but thats because, you can't create sub-domains like "sub-domain.domain.com". Just my opinion.

New User

Status

I have to agree that pipex / 123reg / webfusion is awful. I'd like to move off but I cant face the thought of moving the domain names, the directory structure and some mysql databases. If any hosting companies can ensure a smooth transition I'd be interested. I have a re-seller package with about 10 active sites.

Status

Talking Re: Your best and worst web host?

Regretfully, I have yet to find a host that I would say has been my BEST, but USINTERNET is where my main client hosts their Database and Web server, and it screams (FAST!). It is expensive, but the quality cannot be beat. I was sitting home one Saturday evening and got a call from a nice young lady telling me there was trouble with my server and what instructions I had for them. I asked them to restart it and theyu did so, standing on the phone line till all was right as rain. Also, they are right down the road from us and I can drive over 24/7 to hands-on with the equipment if needed. (I realize that isn't practical for most, but hey!)
    The worst webhost(s) are listed in order of suck:
    1. Aplus net: screwed me and wouldn't let me cancel their service.
    2. Webhost4life: spent MANY weeks setting up an SSL. When it expired, they just let it drop and didn't say anything, so it was another 5 days before that was up again. I actually had to walk them through setting up something in IIS over the phone. Then there was the time my ASp.Net application could not access the SQL server and despite repeated attempts to get them to read the connection error, they still insisted it was in my code. (DAYS lost there)
    3. SetupSite: nothing like having your client call you at 3 am because they haven't been able to get email all day and are being ingnored by their webhost. Turns out the host moved/changed policies on the mail server so the client could not connect to it using ACT, the clients only reason for hosting with them in the first place.
    4. Blah Blah Blah: this could go on for a while, but I will spare you my rant and just say :
    I look my clients right in the face and tell them: If you are going to go with a cheap host, be prepared to pay a stiff hourly rate when I cannot get the simple things to work. (also in contract!)

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last