27 users online (1 members and 26 guests)  

Related

1. I need a database - help me    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 3
  2. How to Decode the data from Database using database handler?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. database    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Question database programming without database????

Hi there,
    Seen some of the threads about passing variables in Javascript but I can't figure out how (if possible!) to do the following:

Got 25 or so "fact files" containing information about member associations of our confederation, namely: address, main activities they carry out, most important events, publications... Over all, it's approx 1 "written page (A4)" in lenght for each association.

Instead of creating 25 HTML pages, I rather to create a kind of template and pass the values depending on the association choosen. I decided this path cause It's much easier for a non-technical user (which will be maintaining the contents!) to change a txt file rather than a complex HTML. I know I should be thinking in a database kind of programming... problem is I can't, I am stuck with HTML and Javascript -not even VBScript, PHP or ASP!!!.

I was thinking in an old fashion sequential access to a text file... but I have no idea how to approach that with Javascript.

Any idea how to tackle this one????.

Thanks

Administrator

Status
    Hi,

JavaScript can't really access files that well, its just not built for it.

What you CAN do is define an array in a separate JS file, and include it. be aware though that its unlikely the search engines will be able to read such a page.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

what'bout XML?

Thanks a lot for your clarification.

I have been advised to explore the use of XML for this particular case as XML files are "easier" to read for maintenance purposes (well, at least easier than sorting out where the hell are the text bits in a complex HTML page with plenty of tags!) and can somehow emulate a database enviroment. Besides, having "only" 25 or so "records", it doesn't seem so crazy.

My only concern is if XML will be understood by all the most common browsers and if there is any other factor I can't think of that might invalidate the use of XML technology in this case.

Any suggestions?.

Administrator

Status
    Browser support: http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_browsers.asp

Boils down to the modern versions of the most popular browsers DO support it.

Whether this is good enough though, is of course your decision.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?