45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

New User

Status

MySQL and PHP on Win/IIS server with MS SQL support

Hi. I got into PHP and MySQL about six months ago, on the heels of the linux learning curve and my first linux box. Once you get over the initial hump, Linux is def the way to go, but....

I developped some cool PHP/MySQL based web-pages that I want to incoporate into a site I'm putting together for a company I started working for recently. ONLY, their ISP web/mail hosting package runs a Win2003/IIS 6.0 Server, with PHP and a **MS SQL** server. So, like WtF? How do I transfer my current databases and/or modify my PHP to access MS SQL?

Thanks in advance.

-edudx

Administrator

Status
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

If your webpages abstracted the mysql functions rather than being hardcoded directly into the script, then your laughing. Use a mssql converter and write a new database layer for mssql.

if your SQL functions are directly in the the code, then it would be a horrible job to covert all your scripts over manually. Personally, I would either write the apps from scratch, or ask the web ISP if they can install a mysql server alongside the mssql one. I've had both databases running on an IIS server (win2k3) and it gave me no problems.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Thanks. You seem to be a mainstay of this forum. Great work. I'll keep checking in to chime in if I can.

This kind of problem is perfect example why programming in modules is way better than hardcoding the stuff right into the page. re MySQL on Win2K3, that's good to know. ISPs are increasingly obdurate about loading additional software.

Abstracting is somewhat beyond me, but like so much of this autodidactic biz, tracking down pointers and figuring it out is part of the process. I assume you mean something like http://adodb.sourceforge.net ?

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

-edudx

New User

Status
    Reply 2. For a really good assessment of the PHP MSSQL setup and if your ISP is up their own port and won't put friendly MySQL on their Win2K3 backside, and you have to rewrite code from scratch, read http://www.aspfree.com/showblog/542/Using-PHP-with-MS-SQL-Server before you do.

Administrator

Status
    Yep, thats the exact thing.

I have a rather simpler version I use for everything, its been so long since I actually used the mysql_* functions directly I would have to look them up if I needed them.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    @edudx - excellent article, definitely required reading.