65 users online (1 members and 64 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. Domain name    Forum: Domain Name Sales
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

domain propagation

domain propagation

Has anyone noticed that new domain names only take a few hours to be active. ? last year it took 48 hours .

New User

Status

Re: domain propagation

What do you mean by 'to be active'? You mean from the time it takes to register a domain with a registrar to the time you can put your pages up and serve them on the web?
    If that is what you mean then yes, I agree. It seems almost like as soon as I buy a domain name, map it to my nameservers and put up my pages then I can access the new website. Before it used to take much longer.

Status

Ya, When i point the domain name to my server, I can nearly access it within 1-2 hours. Thats only if I use a proxy, as it seems my own Internet Provider only updates their files once a day Stupid stupid people.

New User

Status

1-2 hours? i register domains with go-daddy and they are active within minutes..

Status

I work for a different company that registers domains (I will not bring it up here). We always tell people it can take up to 48 hours. We have never seen it take that long, but that is the longest it will take.

For those who are not aware of the process, it is as follows:

1. User purchases domain name from registrar.
    2. Registrar contacts the Registry and registers the domain.
    3. The Registry approves the transaction.
    4. The Registry updates their records.
    5. The top-level-controllers replicate with the Registry.
    6. Replication continues downstream as controllers further down the line verify their information and update it.

With updates in networking technology, this process has been greatly improved. The steps that take the longest are 1, 5, and 6. The first step will take longer depending on if the company the user is registering their domain through is a registrar or a reseller. Go-daddy and the company I work for are registrars, so the registration process will go a little bit quicker as there are fewer people in the loop. The fifth and sixth steps are the true variables. If the servers you connect through are slow in updating, it will take quite a bit longer for you to see the changes. That is where the 48 hours really comes in. The longest replication time I have seen was about 12 hours, and that was several years ago with my own domain when I knew very little. Things have gotten quite a bit better since then.