40 users online (1 members and 39 guests)  

Be Yourself

Status

I've always wondered

what would it take to host yourself on your own computer? Just wonderin I don't plan on doin it...just wondered.

Status

ya know...

I was just wondering if that was possible. I saw something on my computer a little while back, started to try it out, and it disappeared. It would definitely make things easier, not having to worry about ftp and all that junk, I'd be worried about security though.

Administrator

Status
    You need server software, a decent internet connection a fixed ip and DNS.

If you don't have a fixed ip, http://www.dns2go.com is pretty good.

Server software is the tricky bit. Windoze is so full of holes that I wouldn't recommend anything hosty with it. When was the last time a UNIX server caught a virus? Never.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Be Yourself

Status
    well lets see:

I run on windows

I have a dialup(which means I'd have to connected to the i-net all day for my site to work and my family might shut down the internet so that would halt service)

so it's either a cable monthly fee or just buying and paying for your own .com. .com....

Status
    Im running WIN XP.. and trying a little expiriment..

I have cable.. and a static ip, so i edited the dns info for my site, and im pointing eric.zaireweb.com to my pc..

Currently, i have apache installed as a service (will run in system tray) and im workin' on php/mysql

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Zaire,

You have hosting, how much do you charge? for what exactly?

And the primary question, do you accept monthly payments?

If you will accept monthly payments from AHFB members, I will lower my cost for .coms for any ahfb/zaireweb user purchasing a domain/web hosting package to 10.95

So if you Zaire can accept monthly payments and for 9.05 or less, this means both you and I can offer our users a chance to get on the net for just $20.00 initial start-up.
    Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Be Yourself

Status
    so if u have Foxserv the latest version u can support CGI,PHP,MySql, and so on. How much space do u have on ur harddrive? That would be awesome if we could get this to work I wish my mom/dad would buy cable but they're cheap and stick with dialup So how is this gonna all fit together? Can you create unlimited accounts(.com's) on your harddrive (until storage space exceeds capacity of course)?