35 users online (0 members and 35 guests)  

Thread: Please critique

Related

1. www.servercube.com Please critique!!    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  2. Can I have an honest critique please?    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  3. Critique this please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 4
  4. Web site Contributions and Critique    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 3

Status

Please critique

Im about halfway done with the first site Ive ever made. It also will be my personal site as a real estate broker. Its not proofed, and Im changing a lot still but anyone who would take a look at it and give me constructive critisism Id appreciate it.

www.shanepritchard.com

Thanks

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

Re: Please critique

ok, after checking out much of your site, i found a few things that i would change...

first, the [b]TEXT[/b]. i like your site and all, but the text does not have much style. my seggestion would be to Bold underline, and italisize certain words, phrases, paragraphs, exc... try putting more "headers" for example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna (first site i could think of that had somthing similer to what i am talking about)

another thing i would reccomend would be to shrink the font on the links on the left side of the page, and make them all the same size font.

and one more thing, put DISABLED on the contact buttons, untill you are ready to get a web script going. if you need help with writing a cgi script i would be happy to halp.

this code should work for the submit buttons (this will keep website errors from happening)
    [code]<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit Form" DISABLED> <INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear Form" DISABLED>[/code]

Status

Hey thanks for the critique. I am still kind of looking into how I can change the content text for a better look. As far as the buttons, I was trying to make them nicely visibly even on higher resolutions, but I have been thinking already about changing the font on them, and I may do that yet.

I am curiouse as to why my contact form didnt work for you. I am using a script that came with my host (easycgi) and I have had several people test the form from different comps and it has always worked so far. The only possible thing I can think, is that I updated all the pages when I made some formating changes and i might have been sending in updates when you tried the form. I would appreciate it if you would try it again, so if there is a problem that isnt constant I can try to narrow it down.

Thanks again for looking at it. Im pretty happy with my progress, since when I started I didnt know a lick of html.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

well, i successfully submitted my data, so it does work, but one thing that kina puzzled me was why it didn't redirect me when i just clicked submit (i was testing it)!?! also, when somone sussfully submitts info, put:
    [code]<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://http://www.shanepritchard.com/">[/code]in the header of the page after you sussfully submit info, it makes it eassier for the person on your site, so they dont have to click out of your page.

if you would like, when i get my computer back, i will be on messenger (alsong as you have any messenger) i could help you out by giving advice, making scripts, exc... if you want. I dont know PHP, but i do know CGI/PERL and i am sure i could cetch onto ASP, because it is a dirivitive from a language i already know!

Status

Hey that redirect is cool, I like that. Thanks.

Im not exactly sure what you meant by

"well, i successfully submitted my data, so it does work, but one thing that kina puzzled me was why it didn't redirect me when i just clicked submit (i was testing it)!?!"

If your asking why it kinda goes to that a different looking screen for the script if you dont fill out the necessary form fields, Im not sure how to change that.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

email me the script and i will change it for you, i will have it display an error message saying what fields were not filled in, then redirect the person to the submition field again. but i may not get it done till next week, because my computer is getting repaird (this is my parents comptuter [yes, i am only 17 ]) but i will see what i can do free hand :-)

Status

Well I was going to take you up on your generous offer, and once I'd figured out how to get the script off of the site I took a look at it, and decide to try to stick that redirect command you gave me into it (just changed the url to redirect to the form) and boom it was redirecting itself! Im even pretty sure I can make the error screen look like the rest of my site, which Ill probably do at some point along the way.

Thanks again though, if you hadn't mentioined it all Id have never done it. At some point I will probably change those buttons too.

By the way, is there a way to make that reidirect act like the "back" button on the browser, so they dont have to change everything they may have already put in?
    Last edited by Shane; 05-10-2005 at 04:42 PM.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

that is actually a javascript thing, pretty simple...
    [code]<a href = "javascript:history.back()"> back</a>[/code]

:-)

Status

Actually I meant one like that meta tag you showed me, where I could make the page sit for a few seconds then go back, so for example replace.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://www.shanepritchard.com/">

with something that would automatically go back

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

i am not sure how compatable this is, but i tried this in FrontPage, and it worked, but it did work... go ahead and try it anyway...
    [code]<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=javascript:history.back()">[/code]

Status

Thanks man, that worked great, exacly what I wanted. Thanks for all the help. Its coming together, now if I could only figure out what to write, in the "about me" section...

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

no problem