56 users online (1 members and 55 guests)  

Related

1. how to open save/open dialog using HTML    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Enchantress's Home!    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 4

Status

Arrow Enchantress's Demon Elite Board is OPEN!

[SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]Hi, guys!
    Enchantress here again!

This time I've created a message board, for the promotion of Artistic and Literary endeavours!
    Drop by and take a look around! If you like it, post an introduction!

I wanted to create a place where you can show off your work, get constructive feedback, make new networking contacts -- or just have fun and indulge!

http://benchantresssdemonelite.runboard.com/

Enjoy!

[COLOR=Red]p.s. --> If your personality runs screaming, gleefully to the darkside...explore the Member's Only section...

Are you one of the chosen few?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Status

Re: Enchantress's Demon Elite Board is OPEN!

Hi guys! Enchantress here again!

This time I'd like to give you all an update about my message board!
    Since my system currently tests as "clean", I've been busy adding a few features to my message board! Well, what else.......I'm a geek at heart! lol

Anyways, I've made some changes to the code, and I'm now also learning CSS code too! There's basic CSS code built into the message board, and I've been modifying it to suit my needs!

Check it out when you get the chance!
    Once again, the link is: http://com5.runboard.com/benchantresssdemonelite Enchantress's Demon Elite

Enjoy!

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

my seggestion... get your own server and website, then you can put a bunch of cool mods in... it cost's very low, and the message board can be free if you use http://yabbforum.com YaBB which is what you are using

Status

YaBB? But I'm not using YaBB, I'm using Runboard that used to be Akheva and is run by Datahit. It's still free, though! The major advantages are that they allow me to customize every line of code, and allow several moderation options!

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

yabb2 is designed to be modded...

http://www.boardmod.org

Status

Is it your own company?
    Also, what security holes are left?
    Last edited by Enchantress; 07-12-2005 at 12:29 AM.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

no, its not my company, but i do use them for my forum, and i also mod it when i have time...

the security holes are few... i have heard (dont know this for sure!) that YaBB is more secure then PHPBB and Vbulliten

look at this link:
    http://www.boardmod.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1119434648

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

I may have to argue it being more secure than vbulletin. Vb is very proactive in keeping the software up to date and patching any potential or known holes. I would say that Yabb is probably no less secure than PHPbb, probably not a whole lot more secure either.

Though I am not a super fan of PHPbb, I think they are currently suffering from the "MS Syndrome". PHPbb has become very popular due to the fact that many more hosts now have Fantastico which installs the software with hardly anything more than a click of the mouse. The more popular a software is the more script kiddies aim their wannabe selves at exploiting it.

Awstats is another example of this, I get close to a dozen hits a day from kids trying to find awstats on my server. They know that a large percentage of webmasters use this software and they can be found easier. I could write DaveStats, leave it full of security holes and install it on one of my sites, I bet it would never be exploited.

I do agree that the thread starter would be much better off getting away from a free hosted script asap. Forums are great for content and growing a site, but only if you host them on your own hosting account. If the free hosted forum provider closes shop you lose it all and will have to start over. Also, if you decide it is time to get your own domain and hosting package you will not be able to transfer your old content, members, etc. and will still be forced to start from scratch. Spend $10 a month and the content is yours, it will always be there (provided you make regular backups).

Dave