486 users online (0 members and 486 guests)  

Related

1. Protecting content...    Forum: Internet Services
    Replies: 0
  2. Images?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Protecting Graphics    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 7
  4. images images...    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. Help with images    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
    New User

Status

Need help with protecting images

hello. i have just created a website for my online portfolio. what i'm afraid of now is people stealing my works and using it on their websites without my permission, as the images i have uploaded are of quite high resolution.

Is there a way to prevent this other than the usual copyright? I have come across some websites where they prevent right-mouse clicks on images, and a pop-up appears to tell the user that they cannot save the images (or something to that extent). Can anybody help me out with this?

I would definitely appreciate if someone can teach me how to implement that on my website ^^. Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Need help with protecting images

I would definitely appreciate if someone can teach me how to implement that on my website
    No you wouldn't

No right click does no good, it may deter the 1 out of 100 who does not know how to look in temp internet files, but then you have 99 that do know how.

The only way is to watermark your images. Of course this will not stop theft, but it will deter more people and those that do take your images will be pointing to the original artist.

Dave

Texan at Heart

Status

Dave is right - no matter what you do - using the no-right click and no tool bar method will stop some but I can always view your source code and get the link to the image. And plus I have the image on my computer because it is in my temporary internet cache. Worse comes to worse - screen copy.

If you do not want someone having it - the best thing is not to put it on the internet

New User

Status

wow I've never thought of the internet cache thingy ^^; Thanks for the opinions

The only way is to watermark your images.
    Well, actually I have thought of watermarking my works, but that would kind of disrupt the view. But I guess I have no other choice now Thanks again.

New User

Status

yeah really nothing to do i dont care what a page says it wont let me do i can copy it however i must say i dont think the majority of people who surf know this so perhaps the no right click would work here.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

well, you could put them inside a flash animation, or java applet, then it would be 900% harder for them to access those images, and download them. another seggestion would be to have a php file get the images for the user, but have it session orrianted, (not sure how eassy this would be) and have a javascript return that the image is finished downloading to the server, and then have the server expire the session, so when the user right clicks on image it looks somthing like this:

http://somesite.com/images.php?imageid=44&session=D64Be0qPx251dHWz4v6fDs3K78eG24j4

but the session would be expired so that number would not work, and if they try to access that image without the Session have it return an error saying "only can display images on image page"

PS: you would also want to use a meta tage for no cache:
    Code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
    and/or:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
    I am not completely sure the difference, but i think PRAGMA is more for search engine cache, but not sure.

Disabled

Status

I'd have to agree with ALL on this one. You could even do a combination of the suggestions here but if someone really wants your stuff they'll find a way (mainly screen capture). Between watermarks (not enough to disrupt the view but enough to deter) and flash you would have a healthy setup to deter the vast majority of visitors bent on abusing your copyright.

Disabled

Status

Here are some ok codes
    this one prevents right clicking
    <body oncontextmenu="return false">
    this one prevents dragging or highlighting the images off the page
    <body ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false">

But there is always the prntscrn option - someone visiting your site can always click the prntscrn button and paste the page in a paint program and edit the pic what ever way they wish to...
    I do not know of any 100% protection on images...