47 users online (1 members and 46 guests)  

Thread: Tables

Related

1. Help with Tables!!!!    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 2
  3. css for tables    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Replies: 2
  5. help with tables!    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Talking Tables

Hi,

How do we keep a table at a certain defined size without it changing sizes everytime? i.e. since I am not allowed to use frames for development (company policy), I decided to embed tables within tables. My problem is that depending on the size of different tables and the number of tables embedded, the size of one or tow of the tables changes, and I do not want it to do that. I tried using width and height, but that does not seem to work.

You might be confused about what I'm asking, so here's a simplified version of the code I used:

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
    <TABLE WIDTH="800" BORDER="1">
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE>
    <TR>
    <TD><BR></TD>
    <TD>
    <A HREF="page.cfm" >Page</A><BR><BR>
    <A HREF="??.cfm" >Topic A</A><BR><BR>
    <A HREF="??.cfm" >TopicB</A><BR><BR>
    <UL>
    <LI><AHREF="?.cfm"></A>
    <UL>
    <LI><A HREF="?.cfm" >Other2</A>
    <UL>
    <LI><A HREF="?.cfm">?</A></LI>
    </UL>
    </LI>
    </li>
    </ul>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>
    </td>

<td>
    <table width="620" height="120" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td align="left" valign="top">??</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="right" valign="bottom">
    ???
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <table></table>
    </td>
    </tr>

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Talking

Ah you are getting into the fun part of tables.
    If undertsand you correctly, what you want to do is create your tables like I have on this site. The content part of the page can extend forever and never affect the left column.
    I will try to explain how I did it, if you have problems with it just email the txt or html file and I will take a look at it (email link is on the bottom of this page)

Looking at your code it looks good actually except for one peoblem.
    It looks as if you created 1 row to cover both left and right columns, and then tried to insert 1 row under only the left column.

The easiest way to do this is to make your primary table 10 rows to begin with. this leaves you room if you HAVE to have it. The only reason you would need it though is if you decided you needed the widths of any rows to vary. When you need this you just add a table into the next row.
    also do not forget to valign "top" each of the cells.
    Now on the left column (assuming this is the one to remain "static" as you place a table inside it,place a br if needed and insert the next table in the same column, Do not put it in the next row.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Dave