84 users online (0 members and 84 guests)  

1. HTML EMBED tag Problem    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Replies: 4
    New User

Unhappy How do I embed asp in html style attributes

I'm trying to embed an asp.net function into the style height attribute of a table row. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

The asp.net application on which I'm working currently uses HTML tables for formatting. While I realize that at some point we'll have to move away from that. It's necessary for now (no time for a rewrite).

I have a printer-friendly page that has textboxes on it that I'd like to have grow dynamically based on the data within them. I've hidden the scrollbars using style="OVERFLOW: hidden". I've set the textbox borderstyle = none. As you can see, I'm trying to make the textbox appear as a label. The reason I'm not using a label is that the label control reformats and removes carriage returns and line feeds. I don't want my text reformatted. So, I'm trying to use a textbox.

The textbox is embedded in a table row. It appears just as I want it to on the form, but it truncates some of the visible data. I wrote a VB script that calculates the number of rows in the textbox, increases the textbox.rows property accordingly, and returns the height in pixels that I want for the table row. Here's the function:

<script language="visualbasic" runat="server">
    Function GetKeyTermsHeight() As String
    Dim sText As String
    Dim sTemp As String, iStart As Integer, iPos As Integer
    Dim iLineCount As Integer = 0, iTemp As Integer

iStart = 1

sText = txtKeyTerms.Text
    Do While True
    iPos = InStr(iStart, sText, vbCrLf)
    If iPos = 0 Then
    Exit Do
    End If

iLineCount += 1
    iStart = iPos + 2

If iLineCount = 0 Then iLineCount = 4
    txtKeyTerms.Rows = iLineCount

iTemp = iLineCount * 16

GetKeyTermsHeight = iTemp.ToString.Trim + "px"
    End Function

Then, in the table row define, I'm trying to use the return value to set the row height as follows:

<TD style="HEIGHT: GetKeyTermsHeight()" vAlign="middle" align="left" colSpan="4">

The VS designer removes this every time. I have seen embedded functions in the attribute areas before, but can't find an example that is of this type. Can someone please offer assistance? Thanks!

Bournemouth, UK

Re: How do I embed asp in html style attributes

I'm more an ASP than a .NET programmer, but have you tried:

Rather than just the function call?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Re: How do I embed asp in html style attributes

I finally got this to work. Here's what worked:
    <TD vAlign="middle" align="left" colSpan="4" style="HEIGHT: =GetKeyTermsHeight()" >

The maddening thing is that this works, but if I change from the HTML tab to the Design tab, the IDE removes this code. I saved the code above in a comment in my code-behind module. I wish there was a way to stop that from happening. At least it works. Now, my text box autosizes and the table row expands to encompass it. Thanks for your response!