46 users online (0 members and 46 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. remote connect to Mysql    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 8
  3. Replies: 0
    New User

Status

MySQL remote access?

I'm currently in the market for a web host and am finding far too many to choose from. Perhaps some kinds souls out there can recommend some that might fit my bill. What I'm looking for is a host with ASP and MySQL support. I would prefer to have access to MySQL through a front end like NaviCat although I don't know if this is possible. If it isn't please let me know. So far the best bet seems to be Easy CGI but they don't seem to allow remote access through a front end. PhpMyAdmin is offered but I've yet to figure out the import functions from an Excel file. Navicat just makes it so much easier (at least to a new guy like me).

Thanks in advance,

David

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

Re: MySQL remote access?

hmmm... try looking here:
    http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1104961763

that is a list of hosts that most all should support php, asp, cgi, mysql, exc...

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

A couple of good hosts on that list, a couple more I am not familiar enough with(yet) to make a call. The rest of the list falls in the "not until I have built a snowman with the devil" category

I would send an email to easycgi and see if you can use NaviCat.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

I spoke with easycgi they cannot support navicat.

Administrator

Status

here is the response

We only offer hosting in the windows evironment so SSH is not supported. It is not
    clear from the NaviCat website whether direct connection through the standard mySQL
    port (3306) is possible. Let your customer know that We provide external
    access/administration to a mySQL database through port 3306.

Administrator

Status

navicat hosting

Upon furthur review....

I got an email from EasyCGI today, It seems like they have had a change of heart in regards to hosting navicat

After further review of Navicat, this software would allow you to connect to any of
    our database servers to manage your MySQL databases. Although we do not offer
    product support, we will support the use of this program.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.
    Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 04:16 PM.

New User

Status

Dave,

Thanks for your time on this. I emailed them as well and got a negative. Seems that it might be possible, but how to go about it is not going to be posted in their FAQ any time soon. I'm on the edge of deciding between Easy CGI and Dreamhost. Easy CGI comes very highly recommended and supports ASP, yet Dreamhost offers quite a bit more for the same price and the customer service so far in my inquires has been superb.

Anyone have any personal experience with Dreamhost.com?

Thanks again,

David