41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

New User

Status

Question Powered by . . .

Hi All,

I have a webmaster that I pay to build/maintain a proprietary, database-driven website. I have a federal contract that the website is used for as well as private clients.

My webmaster has put "powered by _____" on the bottom of my site with a link to his company. I know this is customary on websites with free hosting accounts or other free tools, but I pay for this.

I've asked him to remove the link and have met resistance. I also met resistance when I asked him to build an administration panel so that I can upload new database entries and remove entries as needed (he does this now, but it bothers me that I don't have access to the back-end of my own system).

Is this the way business is normally conducted with webmasters? I feel like, since I paid for the product, there should be no ads and I should have access to it.

I ran across this board and it seems that you all are professional webmasters, so I want your opinion on the above situation. Any information you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Powered by . . .

Welcome to the forums

First thing I would do is go back over the contract with a fine tooth comb, assuming you have a writtin contract. If it is not in the contract, yank the advertisement. If the web designer wanted to advertise I am sure you would have wanted reduced rates or maybe even have chosen another web designer. Regardless, as long as the site is yours the final word is also yours.

I would probably not raise too big a fuss until you do a couple things to CYA. The designer obviously has and needs access to your site/server, do you have all of the same access that the designer does? You stated already that you do not have access to the backend. Lets hope it does not happen but where would you be if the web designer decided "I don't need this, I am taking it all down and forgetting about that site."?

You are in a tough spot if the designer really wanted to be an INSERT WORD. The first thing you should do if able to is to create a complete backup. You should also follow this up (if able) by creating a cron job to backup any database content on a regular basis. Even if the designer gives in to all of your requests, you should have your own up to date back ups at all times, web hosts go under every day and take your data as well. This should be your number one priority, if you cannot create your own back ups you may not want to upset him with anything else.

Once you are in control of creating backups you are in control of your site and you can lay down the law from there. Until then he owns you and he seems to be aware of that fact.

Dave

New User

Status

Re: Powered by . . .

I've done websites for other companies, and your webmaster is ridiculous... "powered by" is so nineties nobody does that anymore. Not being able to access your own backend when you paid for it is insulting. Unless it's something you agreed upon in the contract like Dave said... I suggest you fire him.