37 users online (1 members and 36 guests)  

Related

1. comments & suggestions.    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 17
  2. Comments or Suggestions appreciated    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  3. comments and suggestions please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  4. Critiques/Comments/Suggestions Please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 5
  5. Replies: 16
    Evil twin of Dave

Status

Arrow Comments and Suggestions Please

This is my site, as some of you may already know, but in the recent weeks i've gotten a few comments about how it could be more proffessional looking. I kind of understand what they say but because I don't know anything except basic HTML and a tiny CSS I'm not sure how far I can go. Any suggestions on site layouts etc.? Most of the good ones involve PHP etc. and I don't have the time to learn that. [EDIT] whoops forgot the addy...lol http://colorconcepts.ukterrorist.com [/EDIT]
    Last edited by Mr. Blue; 01-04-2002 at 10:36 PM.

Be Yourself

Status
    dont see anything wrong with it...

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I do not like to give reviews, but because you are the other Dave Bailey I guess I will (on a forum somebody once told me "you are not the real Dave")

If I sound negative, I am just commenting on what you could change.

Flash - granted I do see some nice flash every now and then, it is one of the worst things you can do for a website. Several factors, including but not limited to load time, lack of indexable material for search engines, many spiders and directories will skip right over you. I understand flash is one of your sites focuses, it may be of benefit to your users to teach the whens and when not to use it. A splash page is a great example of when not to.

logo - bleeding letters are not what most would consider pro. especially when next to the "nuclear" images.

colors - Have you considered reversing your colors, white in the middle with blue on the sides?

btw - I like what you did with the logo to make the 88x31 button, think you could incorporate that into other size banners?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    I agree with dave in many areas...

I have a suggestion for this page:

http://colorconcepts.ukterrorist.com/photoshopart.html

Instead of putting the names under the images, why not devide it into 2 sections, one of them for "Dave" other for Steve...

You could put them in rows..

Dave
    --------------------------------
    [image] [image] [image]
    [image] [image] [image]

Steve
    --------------------------------
    [image] [image] [image]
    [image] [image] [image]

More organized...

Eric

Evil twin of Dave

Status

Talking

Ok thx for the suggestions...as of now I'm really not going to be doing anything but this is for the future when I might be changing things. I would never take it as negative due to the fact that I know only so little compared to you three. If I was knowledgeable like you guys I'd just scratch everything right now and start over with something new, something without the background image, more organized, i'd redo the logo, and get rid of the Flash intro...because I never thought about search engines and things like that (even though I don't really understand it yet ). Concerning the 88X31 Button Dave are you asking if I could make bigger versions of it?

Be Yourself

Status
    Dave's always taught me that using a white background and color border is the way to go, but I think in your case it's pretty nice. People just need to avoid things like this however: http://www.ukterrorist.com
    Just what I think though.
    I like some of the things you've done, and I think your idea about scratching everything should be scratched out except for the few things Dave and Zaire said it looks great. And you don't have to be "very knowledgable" to change those few things. I don't know how long it takes u to make logos but the html part wouldn't be that bad.

One suggestion, when the news starts getting long, just keep one or two of the last posts up then set a link to the rest of them on another page (kinda like an archive). Search engines, heck I'm still learning about them but I know enough that I think the page the flash intro links to, u'd probably get more hits if you'd just set that to the index. And if ur friend wants to show off his flash skills, just create another page with flash things on it. Anyways just my two cents.

Derek

Evil twin of Dave

Status

Arrow

At this point news isn't critical with my site so I just end up deleting it...I had thought about an archive but decided at this point in time it wasn't needed. The HTML isn't hard to change i.e. the Art page setups but I gotta actually come up with a new logo. The actual creation doesn't take long but the thought usually does. I'm still confused on the Search Engines though.....whatever.

Be Yourself

Status
    for your news what may be easier is to use php includes. code kinda looks like this:

<?php include("file.txt"); ?>

What that does is u put ur news in the file.txt then to update it u don't have to mess with your front page but just mess with file.txt and changing the news there. Get what I mean?

One way a search engine looks for pages enlisted is to check the length of the pages content. For example lets say a search engine likes 800 words(on the index page), and another search engine likes 400 words. You may want to submit different pages to different search engines to get better position, depending on how many words u have on a particular page. With flash, the words on flash don't count, and it takes up space, load time, stuff like that, and it minimizes ur chance of getting a high spot on the engine rankings. Something like that Dave correct me if I'm wrong. It also has to do with the way each engine looks at your page before it ranks it. Some might not ltos of flash content, etc.
    My 3 cents.

Derek

Evil twin of Dave

Status
    Maybe I'll do PHP when I get my own webspace and domain but for now I'll just do what I do best LOL. I am starting to get the search engine thing...thx for the explination.