47 users online (1 members and 46 guests)  

Thread: Adware problem.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Hi, guys! I have an Adware problem.

Try doing it as I said earlier and let me know how it goes.

Dave

Status

Okay. Thank you, Dave!

Status

Ok. I tried it and had a few problems.
    Once I got into Safe mode, my mouse stopped working and it took me awhile to figure out that I had to use the arrow keys, tab, and enter. It also took me along time to figure out how to get the Start menu up using the windows button for it - I didn't know there was one! Honestly, without my mouse, I'm lost! I don't know how people used to do it!

After that, I couldn't find the icon for my Antivirus program.
    I did, however find the icon for the Spybot, so I pressed enter on that. But I couldn't see the scan, because the window that it was in was partly hidden by the bottom part of the page, and I didn't know how to move it with the keys. I only know how to move a window by clicking and dragging it with the mouse - and my mouse still wasn't working.

After the Spybot scan, there were no keys saying to click anything, so I just reconnected to the Internet and tried to bring the system back up. It didn't work. Then I realized that the instructions for bringing it back up are exactly the same as the ones to put it into Safe mode. So I took a chance and went with my gut instinct - I chose a different option and went to the General Tab, then clicked on Normal Mode and tried to bring it back. This finally worked.

I ran another Panda scan and it came back the same as before - Infected.
    I'm now looking into downloading some of their AntiVirus Shareware. I don't know what else to do.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Wow, what a mess.

Every computer I have touched, the mouse still worked in safemode. I wish I knew what to tell you but I am at a loss.

Dave

Status

There's alot that's strange about this...
    For one thing, this Adware/Startpage.JY is supposed to change my browser page, and hasn't done so as yet.
    Another thing is that it seems to have re-written the file names in my Windows startup registry - so that every program that's set to run of startup has been infected, but it only shows up on the scan as 1 file infected.
    Also, I did some reading and that Panda scan that diagnosed it was supposed to be able to clean it, but wasn't able to for some reason. This Adware originally surfaced in Aug. of last year, according to their records. But the one I have is not behaving in the same way as would be expected.

I now believe that it's mutated somehow....it's fascinating, really...except I don't know what it'll do next! It doesn't appear to be affecting anything else for the time being, so it would appear that I have an indefinite amount of time with which to do something about it.
    It also doesn't appear able to spread - that's another good thing. If I can't fix it, then I'll have to wipe it all clean and re-install Windows.

Thank you for trying to help, though, and I'll keep you up-to-date on the situation.

Status

Talking Re: Hi, guys! I have an Adware problem.

Well, I don't know how to explain it, or what happened, but my system is now testing as "clean"!
    I've ran a few Panda scans and they've come back negative. So while it's testing clean, I've made sure to update all AntiVirus and AntiSpyware!
    Also, DeepSight Analyzer has helped in tracking any IP addresses that attack - they've allowed me to notify the ISP's in a simple step!

I just wanted to give you this update, to let you know that my system seems ok, for the moment!
    Thank you for your help, though!

Enchantress

New User

Status

Re: Adware problem.

try stopzilla

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2