48 users online (0 members and 48 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 0
  3. Replies: 2
    New User

Status

HELP---I don't know where to find industry info

Ok...so here goes. We (mkting team) did a fantastic presentation yesterday about our web traffic. Here goes: 85% of our users leave the homepage once there and the average view is 2 seconds. We are a school SO here's the issue. The executive team found this irrelevant b/c and I quote, "well, we don't know industry data/average" it may be normal. What about Amazon and these other sites. We are convinced it is b/c our homepage is confusing and scares users but they felt the data was useless since we can't compare. Is there anyone that can help and/OR tell me where to find info to prove that an 85% homepage departure rate is NOT acceptable nor the norm????

New User

Status

Re: HELP---I don't know where to find industry info

and I don't know how this works... i suppose I sit and wait for an answer, yes? or info???

New User

Status

Help....anybody Please

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

relax, a little patience goes a long way.

Industry average or not, your goal should always be to improve on what you have. Speaking for myself and my sites 2 seconds on the homepage and leaving is a very poor. If you giove a link we may be able to help improve this.

Dave

New User

Status

Yes, I know....I was a bit impatient. I just found it ridiculous that the entire presentation was a joke due to the fact that our CEO found the stats to be insignificant. I totally agree w/ you that 2 sec. views and an 85% departure rate is very bad esepcially considering the amount of money we spend on SEM and web advertising Here's the url www.nyfa.com
    Thanks!!!
    Last edited by son; 08-09-2005 at 07:58 AM.

New User

Status

It may be a bit late to respond to this post, but I couldn't help going for a look and thought I might be able to help you and/or others.

It just happens that my business is web analytics and statistics. I can tell you that a 'Bounce Rate' of 85% is terrible. It is difficult to say just what would be an average for any industry. It varies a lot. Zero is ideal, but none acheive it, of course. What is most important is how you can keep it coming down.

I just took a look at the site, and if I had gone there looking for film schools, I would not have lasted either. Not even for two seconds. I had to fight my urge to hit the back button immediately.

So, I will offer my humble opinion and see what I can do to point you in the right direction. What I am going to say may seem harsh, but it is not meant to be rude. So please don't take any offence. Although I use the word 'you' a lot, I only mean the site. Nothing personal.

Number one is sight appeal. This site screams 'Leave Now'. This is because it violates the number one rule of site design: Never, Ever, Under Any Circumstances Put White Letters On A Black Background. It is terrible on the eyes and difficult to read. Information retention rates for this color combination are poor.

Second: I don't know who the idiot was that thought Black, White and Red made an appealing design. It doesn't. Maybe they thought it would be dramatic. It isn't.

Now for the most important part:

You missed your target audience. I assume, since this is a school, that you want to appeal to students. I cannot see one thing that would make me as a student, want to look at this site. Not one. Well, maybe. Since you have foreign locations listed, if you had emphasized the opportunity to study film making in foreign countries and exotic locations I would be interested, but you missed that opportunity too.

I would suggest that you think about what students want and are looking for. Sell benefits. What will they get by attending your school?

Show them examples of what others at your school have done and accomplished. Why did it not occur to anyone designing the site to use FILM ? Some short clips or even still out-takes from your productions would do magic in the imagination of prospective students. I can't think of anything more lame than pictures of people taking pictures of people.

Your keywords list many subjects for study. None of them are on the front page. They are all buried inside somewhere, I think.

The site looks like it was designed by marketing people to appeal to administrators and educators. They forgot that it should appeal to students. The site is what we call 'brochureware'. As a matter of fact there is even a link that says 'Request Brochure'. I would be willing to make a small wager that no one has ever requested a brochure. Certainly not by snail mail. Would I win?

The site should be a front door to opportunity for the prospective student. Talk to your current students. Find out what they wanted when they came to your school. Ask what their dreams were when they came. (And if they are acheiving them.) Then sell those dreams to others. Paint images in the mind. Create excitement and desire. Then ask them to sign here. Now. Not later. And certainly not someplace else.

Well, that is a lot of comments and I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I hope that I have given you something to think about and work with. Now go to your marketing and site development people and get your money back.

Regards,

Will
    Last edited by WillTheGeek; 09-30-2005 at 02:33 AM.

New User

Status

After thinking about this subject, I realized that I probably missed the point. Got a little carried away with the site while you were more interested in the stats.

I looked at some of my own sites and found that the bounce rate is between 30% and 40% on average. One recently opened site started out at around 80% and has steadily reduced to it's current 41.3%. It appears to still be declining.

This is because I have concentrated on getting more qualified traffic and continued to tune the main page to appeal to my target audience. I hope to reduce it to 30%. I don't think it will go much below that as we get many keyword searches where the search words are correct, but the intent is not really related to our subject.

As for the time spent, 2 seconds for a bounce is probably about average. It doesn't take long to realize that the site is not relevent or you don't want to spend time there.

The bounce rate will be highly dependent on where and how you get your traffic. If you have affiliates or other sources that can pre-sell your school, then you will receive much more qualified traffic and the bounce rate will drop while the conversion rate will increase.

If they come from general searches, the rates of both will not do as well since there will always be a certain amount of misdirected or misinterpreted keyword searches. Paid ads will do better than organic searches since you can control the qualification process.

Regards,

Will

HTH

Will