36 users online (2 members and 34 guests)  

Thread: Is it worth it?

Related

1. Is a page rank 3 worth $40 for getin returns??    Forum: Domain Name Sales
    Replies: 2
  2. ExpertWineClub.com, What do you think its worth?    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 3
  3. Are Hosting certifications worth it?    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 0

Status

Is it worth it?

Hi,

I have recently taught myself html and writtten a website for my real estate business. I have a page that lists all the homes that my borkerage has listings for. Im trying to decide if it will be worth the trouble to learn how to write a script of some kind to make it easier to update this portion of my website, or if I should just update it by hand in html. One guy I work with has a professionally designed page that lets him update this type of thing easier then I can do now. Here is my page to give you an idea what Im trying to accomplish http://www.shanepritchard.com/grand-junction-homes.htm I guess basicly I want to know what Id be getting into difficulty wise. Keep in mind I have no programing experience other then the html I have learned.

Shane

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Is it worth it?

The difficulty is relative I would imagine. For myself I look at http://www.php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com/ and get intimidated, some of the younger members here amaze me with their knowledge. You may want to take a look at those sites and see how comfortable you are.

Their are scripts out there that you could install and modify, 'links 2.0' comes to mind but that may be antiquated. Another option is a custom script. Your needs are fairly simple, it would probably not be too much of a cost.

Dave

Status

Thanks, Ill look into it more.

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

if you are going to learn a new language, i might seggest learning ASP.NET, only because it is a SUPER-SIMPLE-LANGUAGE. if you want the most used language, and (in my oppinion 'better' language) learn PHP.

if you want to make a script your self, here are some guide lines to what your project needs...

1.. make a template. everywhere there is going to be somthing that changes (ie: a picture, text, title, color) make put somthing like <%1> for text, <%2> for image, exc... (insted of the text, picture, exc...) then remember to "replace" the text that contains <%#> with the coresponding info.

2.. make it with a database. if there is one thing i regret it is learning how to use a database early in my programming. (use MYSQL if you can, it is the most used)

3.. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK. if you come across a problem i would be glad to help. acutally i would make it for you, if i had more computer time.

just some thoughts,
    -ALL

Status

Thanks All

Ill look into that. Actually I really enjoyed learning html, and Im kind of looking forweward to finding the time to take on a new programing challenge anyway. Im probably going to look at both languages you recommended.