87 users online (0 members and 87 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. Resizing from fullscreen AND loading a new page    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 11
  3. Replies: 1
  4. Want to automatically print    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. Replies: 5
    New User

Status

Question Automatically Re-loading a page...?

Hey all, just wondering if you could help?

How can I get a page to automatically load itself using the attributes associated with window.open(), but i don't mean when a link is pressed.

I know u can use the onClick (and other similar) event handler for buttons and links to include width, height, nodirectories, nostatus, etc... for a new window, but without using a link (for example simply clicking the htm file stored on your desktop) to load *itself* with these predefined features?

Secondly, how can i get a page to refresh itself when requested (without using the refresh button of course!). For example, clicking on a radio button in a form could obviously use the onChange intristic event, but how could this be used to just refresh its own page?

Thank you all,

Yours, kona

Status

Exclamation

Go to

http://benzden.0catch.com/help/url.htm

and look at the four or five

<A HREF=!metaurl.htm>have*them*underlined</A>

URLs. Click one to see how that page is refreshed to change their color. And, because catching the !metaurl.htm file long enough to view its source code is kinda hard to do, here 'tis:

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Dummy</TITLE>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=!url.htm"></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    Boomerang out to force URL color change!
    </BODY> </HTML>

In other words, create a dummy META transfer (or boomerang) file that merely reloads the file from whence one came upon clicking thereat.

New User

Status
    True! But isn't there a way to do it whereby there is no interaction with other pages (dunny ones with META tags of not)?

So it's just the one htm file in question, which doesn't refer to any others, but still loads the width/height/nostatus/nodirectories etc... features by itself?

Thank you for your help though benzden!!!

Administrator

Status
    Hello.

The only easy way to get the kind of control you want from the browser window is to launch a 'child window' using javascript. Even amazing looking things like 'Chromeless windows'( http://www.dynamicdrive.com ) rely on the fact that the window has to be launched from a javascript on an already existing page.

Its a permissions thing. It wouldn't be nice if you typed in a url to your fresh, new browser that you just launched, and the thing shut down because of a webmaster with no imagination has decided to take control of your browser.

So no, you cannot grab control of someones browser in that way from the word go. Sorry. But then again, there were some major changes made to the DOM lately, so maybe theres some new tricks...
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Re: Automatically Re-loading a page...?

Originally posted by kona

Secondly, how can i get a page to refresh itself when requested (without using the refresh button of course!). For example, clicking on a radio button in a form could obviously use the onChange intristic event, but how could this be used to just refresh its own page?

Thank you all,

Yours, kona
    <A HREF="javascript:history.go(0)">Click here to refresh</A>

Status
    What's the difference between that and

<A STYLE="text-decoration:none"
    HREF="java script:location.reload()" TARGET=_self>Click here to refresh</A> ?

Do either of those replicate the Ctrl-(refresh) function for IE?

[ I'm assuming the space needs to be between java and script to keep it from screwing up this thread or forum. Monkey see, monkey do. ]

Status
    I think the two do approximately the same thing. It's always replicated the <Ctrl>Refresh for me, but that may be just me.

Status
    Thanks. Glad to see you're energized enough to help out in this forum, too.

I'll be trying your method out for a while somewhere where I can use it enough to notice the effects. I usually judge the effectiveness of any refresh function when it reloads the <OPTION values in a <SELECT box inside a <FORM ..., which I think is also a function of which version of IE one is using but am not sure.

New User

Status
    Thought i'd say thanx to all of you people (benzden, Enigma and QuietDean) for helping me out

I've tried both suggesteions of "java script:history.go(0)", and "java script:location.reload()", in the contect of embedding it inside some VBscript generating part of a form with radio buttons - incidently, they have slightly differing effects, and it is the former which is preferable in my context.

Also, i apprechiate the limitations placed on not allowing the browser to have some features, such as no address bar etc, and this can be achieved by creating a child window. However, based on the fact that i don't want it for the purpose of resricting other web users browsers, either is there absolutely no way to do it, or secondly how could i implement window.close to close the parent window directly after the required child window is created?

Cheers guys!!!

Status
    Why not just place TARGET=_top inside the <A HREF=.... TARGET=_top>...</A> anchor attribute and eliminate all that extra confusion? That'll reuse the present window.

Do you have a sample online of what you're attempting to do? It might be easier to understand when attempting to go through the process.

Status
    Originally posted by benzden
    Thanks. Glad to see you're energized enough to help out in this forum, too.
    I do what I can, though Dave and Quiet Dean don't seem to need too much help!
    Last edited by HTML; 03-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Status
    BGE, having you and those little bouncing, grabbing, ??? icons around make browsing a more pleasant experience than it would be otherwise.

Status
    What can I say? I'm addicted to emoticons!

Status
    Originally posted by Enigma
    What can I say? I'm addicted to emoticons!
    Hey, the quote of what you had showed up in my response box. Wonder what I did accidently to cause that??!

Emoticon Addicted Enigma - all's you need now is an emoticon to signify that -- maybe one that goes through all the smiley faces-expressions in sequence?!

Duh, now I see - it was the quote button next to the edit button -- I had meant to press the reply button, which isn't anywhere near either of the other two --- am having my daily cup of wine while posting this, which may have something to do with that.

Status
    Originally posted by benzden

Emoticon Addicted Enigma - all's you need now is an emoticon to signify that -- maybe one that goes through all the smiley faces-expressions in sequence?!
    Maybe this one?

or this one?
    Last edited by HTML; 03-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last