45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

Related

1. How to have a good rank in alexa?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 23
  2. Link Exchange with alexa top 61,283    Forum: Link Exchange
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Alexa, Wordtracker How Do I Interpret Their Info?

Hi,
    I am trying to learn the ins & outs of website traffic & success, but am getting confused.

1) I am puzzled by Alexa. Meaning: I type a phrase into google search. Then I click on the first five entries on the first search page. According to Alexa, one site has a popularity of 10,000 and the next one of 4,000,000. So how can you have two sites next to each other on a search page, yet listed so far apart by Alexa?

2) I went to Wordtracker and, using their free trial, typed in something like "teach writing poetry." The "KEI" results were absolutely abysmal, and gave the impression that there is no interest in this whatsoever. But when I typed that phrase into Google, I came up with many sites, and Alexa showed very positive figures on these sites.

So what's the scoop? How can I use tools such as Alexa and Wordtracker to understand what interests people and what doesn't?

Thank you!

Yaacov

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Alexa, Wordtracker--How Do I Interpret Their Info?

1) I am puzzled by Alexa. Meaning: I type a phrase into google search. Then I click on the first five entries on the first search page. According to Alexa, one site has a popularity of 10,000 and the next one of 4,000,000. So how can you have two sites next to each other on a search page, yet listed so far apart by Alexa?
    Alexa rankings and Google rankings have nothing to do with eachother. Alexa rankings designate how popular a website is regardless of niche or search phrases used.

site #10,000 in alexa may be the first result in google for "hybrid cars", #10,001 may be first result in google for "travel insurance", expecting it to be #2 for "hybrid cars" is wrong.

2) I went to Wordtracker and, using their free trial, typed in something like "teach writing poetry." The "KEI" results were absolutely abysmal, and gave the impression that there is no interest in this whatsoever. But when I typed that phrase into Google, I came up with many sites, and Alexa showed very positive figures on these sites.
    KEI should be looked at as a ratio of interest/competition. Though you found lots of competition, and the interest may be high, in relation to the large amount of competition the interest is just not enough to mean large amounts of visitors.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status

Re: Alexa, Wordtracker--How Do I Interpret Their Info?

yes, well put. Alexa Rank ranks page traffic according to others who have the alexa toolbar or support alexa. For instance, #1 is yahoo, google #3, ebay is #8 or something... ect. Any alexa under 50k is serious site that gets more traffic than you can imagine.

There are alexa hacks, such as the "AlexaBooster2.0", so sometimes the alexa is not always the best thing to go by.

cheers!

Cwhyte