41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Thread: Audio

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 5
  3. Need Help adding audio links to my website    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Arrow Audio

Need help on how i can securely put audio files online, so that any 1 can listen but noone can copy them. Some thing on the lines of Launch player.
    I am an audio engg: and artist and dont want my work to leak out.

Folks! Mr.Chaotix is an audio dude, Any one requiring any help or assistance regarding sound, music, audio can ask 4 it right away!

Cheers M8s!

-Mr.Chaotix

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

Re: Audio

It is impossable to allow somone to listen, but not download!

BUT... you can make it EXTREMELY hard for the person to copy the files.

if you use php, jsp, asp, perl, python, or any other scripting language you can restrict the way people can get it.

I'll explain it thourghly...

when you go to a website, like this one, the users web browser submitts something like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1

Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*

Accept-Language: en-us

---------------: ----- -------

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Media Center PC 3.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Host: ahfb2000.com

Connection: Keep-Alive

Cookie: ahfblastvisit; ahfblastactivity=; ahfbuserid=; ahfbpassword=; ahfb2000lastvisit=; ahfb2000lastactivity=; ahfb2000userid=; ahfb2000password=you wish!
    This tells the server: what type of browser it has, what images it will eassily accept, the host it is connecting to, the connection type, the language, tells the server what type of file it is trying to get, and your cookie info.

now... let's think of what we can do to protect your sound files with what the user's browser does...

first... we can restrict the types of browsers that are allowed to access those files. the only ones that should be allowed to get those files are:

Windows Media Player,
    Quick Time,
    and Real Player.
    (they send a line like this: User-Agent: Windows-Media-Player/10.00.00.3646)

now you have the problem of people just oppening the file in their media player and downloading it...

that is were sessions come in handy! you can do this 2 ways (that i can think of).

first... you can require refferals (this is the eassiest way, but the most incompatable way, and i am not sure if those players all send refferals)

second, the harder way, is when people try and access your file, they get their own session code. it would look something like this:

your-web-site.com/your-directory/yoursoundfile.php?session=SEdB35S32H4GG4fcc5h3spd3B5

this is a uniqe code generated when they go to the webpage that the sound file(s) are on. (this part it gets tricky) you have to get the webpage and the php sound files to work together. after the webpage generates a session code for the sound file (verifying that it is trying to be accessed though a webpage) the sound file has to decode the session to verify that it has been generated by your generator, and not just put together (probably by using a database, with timeouts to remove the old entries) then have the php file have some code in it that tells it, "if i get stopped or i finish, delete the session."

Then you have 1 more opsticle... stopping people from starting it, then trying to run another instance of it at the same time... to over come that opsticle, you can only allow the session to work once, by putting the session in a type of "i have/am already been/being used state" rejecting the 2ed instance from running at all!

then just simpally, tell the browser not to cach anything.

Now, did that overwhelm you? I know it sounds hard, but it is really much harder than it sounds

but really it is still possable for people to download your file, or they could just do a system record, which is almost impossable to stop, unless you have put some software in their computer that locks the sound card when it is being played!

if you wanted to still go a step further than that, you could have it run in a Flash, or Java applet, and have it programmed personally to comply with all of that, and not show the origional location of the file.

I hope that helps in your long journy ahead,

-ALL

New User

Status

Smile Re: Audio

thanX m8, am lookin into it!!!

This is of some great help!

-Mr.ChaotiX

Super Dooper Nerd

Status

no problem, i go to atomfilms.com they have a similer way of protecting their movie files, but i found a way around it... but if you did it my way, you should beable to over come that!

-ALL

New User

Status

Too bad, am too new in the world of web designing to be able to write such codes.

Thanks any how, You have gone a long way to try to help me.