36 users online (2 members and 34 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. will Domain name forwarding hurt my site?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Does domain forwarding hurt your SE rank?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Forwarding MySpace Messages    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Domain Forwarding tracking    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
  5. Domain Forwarding tracking    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 0

Status

Cloaked forwarding - how's it done?

Does anyone have a copy of the framing code various redirectors/forwarders use to forward level 3 domain names so that the actual web host server location is hidden?

What concerns me is the effect their technique has on certain sites of mine which are also framed. Before deciding upon an alterntive strategy, I'd like to see if maybe there's an easier way to get my frames to work when they're inside an invisible frame created by the forwarding process.

For example, one framed site, used primarily for genealogically oriented searches, is at:

http://jamrent.50megs.com/{fr3070.htm
    Last edited by benzden; 02-16-2002 at 06:00 PM.

Administrator

Status
    Whilst I do not have any source code, I am 99% sure they simply use a frame with no width, or an 'invisible frame'.

I cannot forsee this causing many problems (except when you click 'refresh' 7 pages in and it reloads the original pages grr) I do have a piece of code that 'breaks' you out of frames. I have never tested it with a 'framed' site (the whole point of it is to avoid frames) but in thoery, placed on the frameset page, it should work -

Code:
     </head>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    if (window != window.top)
      top.location.href = location.href;
    // --></script><body...
    hope that helps.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Am not sure of what it's supposed to do but am testing it at

http://jamrent.50megs.com/{fr3070.htm

I'll have to go into one of my other domain names and use cloaked forwarding to point there and then see if the level3 alias shows up in the address bar or the real location of the file reflected above - the latter meaning that your code has successfully overridden the cloaking/framing function. It doesn't appear to work at

http://search.wnaaa.com

What was happening was that the <BASE TARGET=right> parameter was being ignored - placing the target URL into the wrong frame -- that could be because the "invisible" frame launcher also used 'right' or for some other reason - like entering one framed site from another framed site -- both being my sites.

I'm thinking of using pop-up, presized windows to hold the menu items and another, presized window to the right to hold the object sites/URLs - same effect as frames but with both taskbar and easier exiting control by the user. It'll take me a few days of off-line tweaking to get it right, but the results may be seen by the end of the week.
    Last edited by benzden; 02-17-2002 at 12:24 AM.

Administrator

Status
    How strange.

Let us know how the tweaking goes.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Well, the left and right windows can be created but not without a lot of intervention by the visitor. The easiest way to get it done would be to have a file that executes two "onload..." commands, one for each window, and then closes itself.

If I could figure out how to get past the "permission required from user" to close the window that opens merely to open the "real" windows, then a possible "onexit ..." command (if such a command exists - I don't have a decent JavaScript reference manual) could load the 2nd window. My test page
    portal is at

http://jamrent.50megs.com/search2.htm

which uses onload to load search1.htm into what's defined as the searchDR window to the left - search1.htm also uses onload to load the default search help text (ignore what's written - it'll be updated for this new process when it's finished) into what's defined as the searchCR window.

PROBLEMS encountered, so far:

1. <BASE TARGET=searchCR> isn't working - will have to reinsert all the TARGET=... commands into each <A HREF=...> tag;

2. The damn windows are not sizing as desired - one can't see the bottom of pages unless resizing them and then moving them up -- a real PITA; (Some of the 'features' in the onload commands are self-evident - have yet to find anything explaining what the others do and what they don't do, especially in combination with various other settings.)

3. The intial file, search2.htm, stays open and isn't needed except to initialize two actual windows filling the screen - smaller menu on the left and larger object on the right.

[ Any suggestions from others would be greatly appreciated. ]

Am also looking for a good resource that details ALL THE possible META commands, especially those that handle events automatically when a file loads - such as transfers and page transitions - all the searches, so far, show just the "search engine" related META tags and the refresh and 'delayed' transfer but not transitions or others that must exist.
    Last edited by benzden; 02-18-2002 at 03:23 PM.

Be Yourself

Status
    haha whoo...don't know if I can help ya on some of those things you kinda lost me on what your trying to accomplish.

2. Resizing and positioning the windows is a pain because of monitor differences. However I know how to position the windows but your using ways that specify to work for each browser so it'll be all cross compatable... or something, what are you doing there?

3. You can close the window without user help using javascript if that's what your trying to accomplish.

<script language="javascript">
    <!--
    var newWindow
    function makeNewWindow() {
    newWindow = window.open("blah.html","def","height=300,width=300")
    }
    function closeNewWindow() {
    if (newWindow) {
    newWindow.close()
    newwindow = null
    }
    }
    -->
    </script>

something like that let me know if there are any errors.

Status
    First of all, I"m using only IE 5.01 to design all this initially in 800 x 600 screen mode. If it works there, then I may consider adding Netscape only codes. (Forget other browsers - don't have time.) I'll switch to
    percentages, if that works, after getting it all working.

Did you click

http://jamrent.50megs.com/search2.htm

to see what I've got?

The bottoms of each window are off the screen - I don't like or want that and don't know how to fix it.

I only want to close the "blank" first window - the other two created as part of the process will be closed by the visitor whenever they're ready to do so. That SCRIPT appears only to manipulate the newly created windows - not the first one created by the browser when the URL is clicked.

Be Yourself

Status
    Question #1: What's this-

Code:
    <script><!--
     function SiteStats_1453(){
      var t=new Date();
      var o='o='+t.getTimezoneOffset()+';';
      t=t.getTime();
      var isNN4=(document.layers)?true:false;
      var isCSS=(document.all)?true:false;
      var t='t='+t+';';
      var b='b='+(isCSS?(document.body.clientWidth+'x'+document.body.clientHeight):isNN4?(innerWidth+'x'+innerHeight):'')+';';
      var s='s='+(isCSS||isNN4?(screen.width+'x'+screen.height):'')+';';
      var c='c='+(isCSS||isNN4?screen.colorDepth :'')+';';
      var j='j='+jv+';'
      var p='p='+escape(location.href)+';';
      var r='r='+escape(document.referrer)+';';
      var u='http://jamrent.50megs.com/cgi-bin/sitestats.gif?'+t+b+s+c+j+o+p+r;
      var I=new Image(1,1);  I.src=u;
      var f='var e=new Date();e=e.getTime();var I=new Image(1,1);I.src="'+u+'e="+e+";";';
      window.onunload=new Function(f);
      setTimeout('alive_1453("'+u+'")',0x249F0);
     }
     function alive_1453(u){
    Answer #2: Either whoop out your x and y and set it higher up in the screen or you could just make the height shorter. I think it was at 570...just make it 565 and it should work fine with little difference.

Answer #3: Ok lets say this is your script:

Code:
    <!-- 
    var newWindow 
    function makeNewWindow() { 
    newWindow = window.open("blah.html","def","height=300,width=300")
    }
    if (newWindow) {
    self.close()
    newwindow = null 
    }
    </script>
    Make this the first window you wanted to open in your onload.

Code:
    funtion makeSecondNewWindow() {
    newWindow = window.open
    ("blah2.html","def","height=300,width=300")
    This is your second window.

Code:
    <body onload="makeNewWindow()" onUnload="makeSecondNewWindow">
    this makes your new windows while closing your others.

These are just examples you'll have to do the positioning and stuff on your own...is this kinda what you were looking for?

Status
    #1 - that's not my code - it's probably inserted by 50megs to keep track of stats for that page - each page has that but usually at the bottom.

#2 - quick tests of 565 and 560 did nothing - also tried left=1 vs left=0 for first frame - also nothing. Will do more testing tomorrow - after IE cache is cleared.

#3- thanks for the code - I'll play around with it tomorrow.

I'm happy with the horizontal size of the windows and the TARGET=searchCR appears to work okay and will tweak some more tomorrow for the vertical sizing and eliminating the first launch-only window. I like the windows versus frames on the first few tests - primarily because each can be resized independent of the other -- have seen no one else using this techinque as a more flexible and less cumbersome alternative to frames.

Thanks, again for the help.

Be Yourself

Status
    anytime

man they must really lack skill...JavaScript to keep stats? What's this world coming to?

Be Yourself

Status
    anytime

Status
    Thanks for the code, Derek.

Took a day to fix some other files ( http://st.cyriacus.net ) but checked your coding out, made some minor naming and sequence changes and now have it up and testing at

http://jamrent.50megs.com/s2.htm

(It works from my hard drive but not online by clicking that URL shown above - the 2nd window isn't loading upon exiting the s2.htm file.

The SCRIPT code within that s2.htm file that does it all is

<S C R I P T language="javascript"><!--
    var newWindow
    function make1stWindow() {
    newWindow = window.open('search.htm','searchDR','alwaysRaised=1,copyhistory=0,
    directories=0,location=0,menubar=1,resizable=1,scrollbars=1,status=1,
    toolbar=0,top=0,left=1,width=250,height=500')
    }
    function make2ndWindow() {
    newWindow = window.open('{frhelp.htm#search','searchCR','alwaysRaised=1,
    copyhistory=0,directories=0,location=1,menubar=1,resizable=1,scrollbars=1,
    status=1,toolbar=0,top=0,left=260,width=532,height=448')
    }
    if (newWindow) {
    self.close()
    newwindow = null
    }
    //--></S C R I P T>

(The true code doesn't have line breaks in the window.open commands nor spaces surrounding the equal signs nor in the SCRIPT tags.)

I no longer have the SCRIPT debugging abilities of Netscape on my hard drive and did not notice IE giving my any SCRIPT error messages. Got any ideas on what's disabling the make2ndWindow function online?

Be Yourself

Status
    I'm at my dads office right now and he has a mac that doesn't even support frames so I'll take a look at your code when I get home in a few hours.

Be Yourself

Status
    hmm not quite sure, copy and paste this and see if it makes a difference:

Code:
    <!-- 
    function make1stWindow() { 
    var newWindow = window.open('search.htm','searchDR','alwaysRaised=1,copyhistory=0,
    directories=0,location=0,menubar=1,resizable=1,scr
    ollbars=1,status=1, 
    toolbar=0,top=0,left=1,width=250,height=500') 
    } 
    function make2ndWindow() { 
    var secondnewWindow = window.open('{frhelp.htm#search','searchCR','alwaysRaised=1, 
    copyhistory=0,directories=0,location=1,menubar=1,r
    esizable=1,scrollbars=1, 
    status=1,toolbar=0,top=0,left=260,width=532,height
    =448') 
    } 
    if (newWindow==1) {
    self.close()
    }
    -->
    </script>

<body onload="make1stWindow()" onunload="make2ndWindow()">
    If that doesn't work take out the last two "{","}" at the end of the script. If it still doesn't work then post again.

Status
    Just did a test at

http://benzden.0catch.com/s2.htm

and it works on that server but still doesn't on the server at

http://jamrent.50megs.com/s2.htm

Look inside the source code at each to see what did work from your last post, summarized here:

removing newWindow=null still works offline

adding ==1 still works offline

changing the second newWindow to 2ndNewWindow (or similar name) didn't work

adding the var before each didn't work

placing or removing the ; at the end of the
    <BODY onload.......> tag seems to make no difference - I added it at one point to eliminate the error on page message.

I'm going to just use it for personal searches until it works well enough to promote to others -- debugging SCRIPTs with IE is a real PITA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last