40 users online (1 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. Need help getting a form to handle    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Can MySQL handle my job?

I am new to MySQL and PHP, but I'm looking at customizing the PHPAuction package for a web auction site. I'm trying to evaluate whether these tools can handle the potential load. Is MySQL scalable to a very high-volume, high-concurrency load? I'm leery of building a mission-critical site based on an open-source database system that I don't know much about. I've worked with SQL Server in the past, and love its tools and capabilities. Can anyone set my mind at ease on building a big application in PHP that will run with MySQL?

Status

Re: Can MySQL handle my job?

Welcome to the forum, Blademaker.

A mySQL database can handle a pretty large volume without sacrificing performance. I have one mySQL database on my server right now that has about a quarter million records (which is small, compared to what it can handle), and have no performance problems with it.

As for security of your PHP application, I haven't found that to me much of a problem. Just make sure you have register_globals turned off for your server, and validate all form fields to prevent SQL injection attack.

Regarding the security of open-source scripts, they're actually more secure as a whole than scripts that aren't open-source. You generally have lots of "white hats" scrutinizing them for security holes. The holes get patched quicker, and there end up being fewer of them.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Thumbs down Re: Can MySQL handle my job?

Based on my experience, mySQL can handle high-volume but it has troubles with high-concurrence.
    I have worked in a big gov project with an Oracle database, we have tried to migrate to mySQL and some queries were up to 10 times slower compared with Oracle.
    Of course, mySQL has evolved since then but I don't think that it can handle 5 millon records and 500.000 concurrent visitors with acceptable performance.

New User

Status

Re: Can MySQL handle my job?

mySQL is good but if your database or record is huge it will need high resources.