90 users online (0 members and 90 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. comments & suggestions.    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 17
  2. Comments or Suggestions appreciated    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  3. comments and suggestions please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  4. Critiques/Comments/Suggestions Please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 5
  5. Comments and Suggestions Please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 8

Status

Views and comments and suggestions plz......(ty in advance!!)

Hello Friends,

I am a novice in the networld...
    http://www.geocities.com/amit_vadnagra/index.html this is my site....plz give a look to it and send your valuable comments and suggestions to me to make it better....
    just select the WebDesign option from the select list and klik the go button, and see what happens.....

thanks & regards,

Status
    Eliminate the "Go" button. Use

<SELECT NAME=TODO OnChange="javascript:formHandler()" SIZE=1>

and elimiate the <INPUT ...> entirely.

I'm assuming that "javascript:formHandler()" will work. I use this function that's in a separate .js file:

}
    function menuTODO(form) {
    var newIndex = form.TODO.selectedIndex;
    if (newIndex == 0)
    alert("Read another one!");
    if (newIndex > 0 )
    window.location.assign(form.TODO.options[newIndex].value);

The associated OnChange command is:

OnChange="menuTODO(this.form)"

Those extra, required Go buttons are speed bumps on the internet highway - especially for FORMs that have only one selection box. Many webmasters are even making the ENTER key an alternative to the SUBMIT button for the last item in multiple boxes or for either item in optional boxes - such as http://www.missingmoney.com and others who have visitors doing dozens if not hundreds of searches at a time and don't want to waste time with going from keyboard to mouse to keyboard - ad infinitum.

- - -

The select options should be redundant with rather than in addition to other displayed menu options. The menu to the left should include those choices, too.
    Last edited by benzden; 02-25-2002 at 11:30 AM.

Status

Views and comments and suggestions.....!!!

Hello Benzden,

Thanks a lot for a visit to my site, and thanks again for a great suggestion.
    Yes, formHandler() did work.
    Only one problem is that, when I again change it to "kool_selector" from any other option in the list, it open my site in another window.
    How can i stop that??
    and make it to do no action on change to "kool_selector" option???
    I have kept it in changed position only. You can visit again my site, and see yourself what i want to say.
    Select anyother option, and then again change it to "kool_selector".

thanks and regards,

Status
    (Disclaimer: Most of my HTML knowledge was developed using Netscape 4.7+-. I'm learning that many tricks and shortcuts may not work with IE 5.01.)

Usually, the top item never works. I have a bunch of them at my http://secret.jamrent.com page. Check it out for how to use that top item as an identifier rather than choice. I'd suggest something for your site like "Select and GO" or "Choose and GO" or "Pop-up menu".

I've also had problems with "new" windows from my

http://search.jamrent.com

search platform. I went back into the primary file and reinserted TARGET=searchCR into each <A HREF=.... TARGET=searchCT> ... </A> anchor to get around that problem. In your case, that TARGET=(rightFrame NAME) has to go somewhere. I just tried it with IE 5.01 in the <OPTION VALUE=HREF..... TARGET=searchCR>...</OPTION>, which did seem to work with Netscape, and it didn't work now with IE.

Since you're using frames, and IE seems to behave much more strangely than Netscape with frames, you'll have to play around with the location of the TARGET= to get it right [b]or go back to the GO button[/b] technique.

Status
    Hello Benzden,

I had no option except going back to "GO" button, but then i decided to take a chance with "if......" control structure.
    I introduced "If...." controlstructure to the script, compared text of the selectedIndex and assigned formHandler() if a true value is returned, and it worked.

plz take a look at it, and suggest me whether it looks ok or not.......

http://www.geocities.com/amit_vadnagra/index.html

thanks & regards,

Status
    Looks good. The URLs in the SELECT box open in a new window while most of the menu items appear in the right frame - the resume appears in its own window.
    That might be confusing to visitors.

One of the other problems with creating new windows is the pop-ups that are automatically created along with them due to the web host banner insertion code. A visitor ends up with too many windows in their task bar - even confusing experienced users in a hurry -- like what just happened to me --- I closed one window in the task bar thinking it was the pop-up ad just to discover that it was my main message board window.

One of the reasons I removed a lot of <nobanner> tags a long time ago was due to the pop-ups cluttering the task bar - especially from pages that did not involve frames or were designed to appear in frames large enough to accomodate the banner at the top or bottom.

Status
    My website is on Geocities.com.
    Even I too am experiencing trouble with lots of windows open at the time of document loading.
    In my case, I have made one popup window, others are host banners.
    To remove my pop is in my control but how can i stop host banners appearing after loading???
    I have made select list URLs open in new window because right frame space seems small to handle those sites , e.g, say yahoomail..

But, atleast to stop those host banners, is there any code???

Status

Question

Hello Benzden,

I have made some modifications.

So is to obtain more space for main right handside frame.

Reduced width of the left column, modified link text to accomodate them in the reduced frame, discarded welcome popup made by me. Also made all links in the left frame to open in the right frame.

now only select list URLs open in new windows. Do i need to open them too in the right frame??

Plz take a look, and suggest if it looks ok?

Also suggest some code if i can stop those host banners appearing immediately after document loading.

thanks and regards,

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Removing banners from a free host is against the terms of service and unethical.

Discussions on how to cheat are not permitted on these boards, reports of members cheating hosts, domain forwarders, affiliate programs or any other website related service are forwarded to any and all appropriate parties.

Cheating benefits one person while it negatively affects EVERYBODY ELSE. Members who intentionally screw other webmasters are not wanted and will not be allowed on ahfb.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Yes, I'd make all the SELECT item appear in the right frame, too. In addition, add your other menu items to that SELECT list - it doesn't hurt and offers an alternative to those who prefer selection via pop-up menus.

Hadn't thought about the pop-up killer type programs being a violation of the terms of service - pay for one of my web hosts and don't worry about the banners at the other. If nothing else, play with your right frame pages to place more blank space underneath where that really obnoxious Geocities banner appears - it used to appear in the smaller box mode -- now, it does so after a predetermined length of time has passed. That's their way of encouaging people to sign up for the paid service. C'est la vie.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Popup killers as a computer software are ok. Using a script on your pages to disable a hosts banners or popups from being placed on your site are not

D

edit: I do have some issues with popup killers, as they deprive the webmaster of an income. If a webmaster relies on popup monies as his/her source of paying for website expenses, and everybody is using this software, they will soon have to close the website . However with so many sites now spawning 4, 5 or even more popups, they have to expect that people will soon either install software which stops popups before they start, people will turn off javascript, or they will lose potential customers.

If I host at spaceports free servers, and spaceports says we will give you server space as long as you agree to show banner "a" and popup "b", then adding a script to the site to override or elude the mandated advertising is just plain theft

D
    Last edited by HTML; 02-27-2002 at 05:06 PM.

Status
    I agree, but these pop-ups are beginning to seriously interfere with web site browsing.

Banners are much better - pop-ups seem to be like the shady guy standing in the alley saying, "Pssst! Wanna see some dirty pictures?!"

They're also annoying for someone searching for information in a hurry - usually when the query hasn't been written down but is the result of something found subsequent to an earlier search -- then the pop-up springs up (or a group of them) and makes one lose whatever thought process was ongoing at the time.

Status
    Hello Friends,

Due to some problems, i was not able to access net, i feel i missed the discussion.

Dave, the query was due to curiosity only. And as far as popups with free hosting are concerned, they are annoying and disturbing, thts for sure. So anybody who is not earning from the site, but get to a freehosting service as a hobbyist, would naturally try to get rid of it. There are not intensions of cheating or theft.

Even though, if it happened to be breaking the rules of the forum, even morally, i would regret that.

Sorry.

thanks and regards,

Administrator

Status

more importantly, if a "hobbyist" was hosted on geocities, and intentionally removed the banners so that they would not be shown to visitors, it is the rules of geocities that would be broken. People doing this would not need these forums, because they would probably not have the website for long .

Dave

Be Yourself

Status
    arg... geocities...wouldn't recommend there. I read in one of Daves webmsater articles he used to have up the author of the article was talking about how in geocities tos and such it basically says that anything that is on your site is theirs...but most of the time it doesn't matter so whatever just sayin...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last