47 users online (1 members and 46 guests)  

Thread: spacer.gif

Related

1. Spacer Image    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

spacer.gif

New to all of this but I want to create a transparent spacer.gif file to ensure my tables are solid. I have recently aquired Photoshop 5.5. Kind of complicated for me. I can create the 1 X 1 pixel. I know I have to export it Gif89a, but how do I get the color out of it? How do I make it transparent?

Status
    I used Paint Shop Pro to make some transparent gifs. When I saved the gif, there was an option to make the background color transparent. Look for something similar to that.

Status
    Download

http://jamrent.50megs.com/i/tab.gif

It's a 43 bytes transparent 1x1 dummy .gif used on my sites.

The 50megs servers are acting up right now.
    Last edited by benzden; 03-04-2002 at 01:39 PM.

New User

Status
    Thanks much. This is a great site and all of you helping out here are appreciated.

Status
    In photoshop, when you create the image, there is an option at the bottom of the create image dialouge, that allows you for No Background, Transparent, or Solid, choose none or transparent...

Status
    Since your talkin transparancy, just how do you do that any way? I have paint pro, and there are many times that I would like to take a pic and put it on a trans background, but dunno how to do it. AANNDD I was trying to do something by following directions, and it had to do with the color pallet and style and???. I think I was trying something like making a matalic font or something like that Well anyway, ever since then my pictures and the proccess to edit them has been very troubling. Always a background, and always in layers, can't even use the magic wand like I used to. It doesnt get what I want, but it gets a layer, and I don't know anything about layers, All I know is I think it s_cks, I don't know how to work with it, and I don't know how to correct it. Does anyone???? Go figure, when I want transparancy, I don't get it, and when I don't want it, I'm getting forced to use another program. But I like it too, Ulead Iphoto4, first real one I ever used!!
    So any help?

Status
    PSP is probably the easiest graphics app to create transparent gifs. To make a spacer:

choose new file->1wx1h->background color: transparent.

choose file->export ->gif optimizer->wizard->use existing transparent areas->background color->No, best color->100% best image quality->finish

To export an existing image with transparent regions:

In your background color pallet, this is the default color the optimizer will display as the transparent region. Use the color picker and right click on the region of the image that you want to be transparent.

choose file->export ->gif optimizer->wizard->convert matching colors to transparent->background color of webpage or container->No, best color->100% best image quality->finish

One drawback to this is that depending the the region made transparent and the color chosen as the background can leave undesirable jaggies. This can be minimized by creating your image using a transparent background to begin with and zooming in the image and using a paint brush to "soften" the edges.

As far as the layer thing, try merging the layers before using the magic wand. Because of the compression methods used to create a transparent gif, they tend to be larger in file size. PSP7 has png optimization as well and I have made a few transparent pngs using it. Same method as making a gif.
    Last edited by sonofmidi; 03-23-2003 at 12:46 PM.

Status
    Yah know what?
    Haven't you ever wrote yourself a note, and/or asked some one to remind you of something? and then you remebered on your own???
    Well actually, something like that just happened to me. Since I wrote in this post??!! I figured alot of that stuffs out.

Its kinda of funny actually. Its like I was frustrated that things changed on me, kinda panicked, wrote in here, Then I go doink around and, what doya know? I got it. Even how to change the colors in the gradient. How fun, but now that I was just there, I'm thinking that it wasn't my first time. Prob went there when I first saw PSP. thats when I thaught it was a college art program compared to Windows paint.. LOL My other favorite prog is Iphoto4, it was the one I really learned on.
    Oh yah, even got way closer to figuring out the layer thing!!!
    So with thst snd the onfo you gave me, I'm an a roll again THANKS