51 users online (1 members and 50 guests)  

Related

1. MS front page isn't that bad.    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 5
  2. Front Page/Powerpoint?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
  3. Microsoft Front Page    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  4. Page containing Errors Message    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    New User

Status

Inherited formmail.pl and Front Page errors

Hello. I am having trouble with a form that was written by the previous "designers" of a site I'm working on. It worked previously, and when I simply re-designed the page, and left the form elements the same, it broke. The person that originally put the site together is a difficult person to deal with so I am very hesitant to enlist his help.

I get the error:
    FrontPage Error.

User: please report details to this site's webmaster.

Webmaster: please see the server's system log for more details.

on this ugly little page: https://www.trailshome.com/SSL/credit-ap.htm

I hand-code my html (don't use Front Page) and I have limited perl/cgi experience. I've checked the permissions and everything looks okay 777 for credit-ap.htm, 755 on formmail.pl

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Status

Re: Inherited formmail.pl and Front Page errors

looking at the page source, i couldn't find where you called formmail.pl.

what does it say in your error_log?

and the front page errors... not being a windows user, i find that a lot of pages generated with front page don't render well, but that's a rant for another time.
    Last edited by uthus; 02-08-2006 at 12:18 AM.

New User

Status

Thanks for your reply. I guess maybe I spoke out of turn by saying formail.pl is being used but that is the only script in the cgi-bin...?? The form action is:
    <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="../_vti_bin/shtml.exe/SSL/credit-ap.htm" onSubmit="" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">

Which is no use to me. What baffles me most is that I renamed the original (working) file something else while I uploaded my new design page. That broke, and when I changed the original's name back, it was broken as well...??

New User

Status

It looks like it is a Front Page error. I see their garbage in the source.
    Can you post the script in here where we can look at it?
    Warning! Most form mail scripts are insecure. Web bots can hijack your Perl Send Mail, and send spam to hundreds of people at once.

New User

Status

I can't even find the scripts anywhere on the server. In the html, it calls <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="../_vti_bin/shtml.exe/SSL/credit-ap.htm" onSubmit="" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">
    so I'm confused. I can't find this executable directory. I guess I'm going to have to call the guy that wrote this. He bitched my contract employer out because I "broke" it when I tried to replace it (trying to reinstate his file didn't work either) so I'm very hesitant to contact him. He's using FrontPage so I'm not sure why he feels so superior. Anyway, was hoping it would be a quick fix (chmod problem or something).

Thanks.

New User

Status

I wouldn't mess with the old one. Just install a new script. There are a gazillion free one's on the web. The form will be no problem to modify for any script.