39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. Google is doing a Pagerank Update!    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Google Update?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 4
  3. Google Update.    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 5
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Google PR update February 2006

The Google PR update appears to have began yesterday, how are ya'll doing with it?

Of course these are only my opinions, but it seems like a couple of things have come into play that have lowered most people PageRank. First off is the dampering due to increased PR distribution. In other words, there are now more new pages indexed as a whole on Google, because PR is limited in 0-10 it will naturally require more and more to increase or maintain a PR level.

I also think most will see a decrease in actual backlinks. Though the link: command may show more backlinks, we all know this is in no way relective of what Google really uses behind the scenes. I think that backlinks from some spam sites may no longer be counted, spam sites being made for adsense type sites, or other sites that scrape the google index.

For AHFB it has been a mixed bag, the forum PR dropped 1 from 5 to a 4, as have most internal pages. The front page remains a 5 still, that was quite a relief to see that it stayed unchanged.

The one thing that I see positive come out of this is on our sitemap. For the last couple of years it seems we were being sabotoged by an ex DMOZ editor. Where the front page was originally listed, it was changed to the sitemap. Eventually the editor thought this was not enough so he/she took off the www, making backlinks go to the non www instead of the www version of the sitemap. The non www is still listed at DMOZ but I have created a 301 redirect to send all non www to the www version, of course this will also help with avoiding any duplicate content issues in the future. The sitemap PR went up from a 3 to a 4 after doing this because now backlinks are not split between the 2 URLs but are combined for the www URL.

What it all boils down to IMO, is that if all else stayed the same on and related to your site and you see a PR drop it really does not matter as any changes are across the board.

any other opinions?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Re: Google PR update February 2006

Hi Dave and all

Speaking as a newbie to your excellent forum, I feel slightly nervous to add my .00001 cents ... however.

For myself, I tend to ignore page rank mostly

A technique that I've used over the several years I've been struggling in the webmaster world, sometimes successfully, sometimes unsuccessfully, is to ask myself the question:

What sites would I reckon are good if I was google (or any other big search system)? And how would I identify them?

The answer for me has always been that I would follow visiters I (google) had referred onto the sites and see how they move about the site. If they bounce back out of the site, I would assume the site wasn't so good and send fewer visitors. If they spend lots of time browsing pages and working through the site in an organized way, I'd assume that the site was doing something worthwhile.

The point I'm trying to make is that it could be that search engine optimisation is really just about optimisingf for human beings. In other words, it's the art of making an interesting and useful site for ordinary people.

Trying to make my sites useful to real people who are looking for really interesting stuff makes me feel worthwhile too

Trying to figure out the multitude of complex factors a huge organization full of really clever people with massive computing resources is using as its latest algorithm terrifies me and makes me want to head for the bar.

I tend to apply this thinking to reciprocal links too by saying to myself: would my visitors want to visit this site? If the site is related to the themes of my site then my visitors are going to think I'm a good guy if I tell them about something good that they are looking for. Hopefully this will encourage them to come back to visit me again because I'm a reliable resource - which benefits me.

Alternatively, a links section that just contains hundreds of jumbled links is worthless for real people and if I was google I'd downgrade it and not send any more visitors to it.

So maybe I'm nuts to think of google as a cuddly human being ... but, hey, it works for me!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Welcome to the forums

I am pretty much in total agreement with you. As a rule I refuse all recip. link requests. If a site would be of benefit to the users I may pass it on, if somebody feels ahfb may be worthwhile to link to then go for it, but link exchanges for the sake of PR is a waste of time IMO.

Sounds hypocritical coming from a website with a forum dedicated to link exchanges, sometimes you have to give the public what they want

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Thanks for the welcome Dave

Like we said, giving the customers what they want is the mark of a good site, whether it's a forum or a list of products that the visitors are looking for

Just old fashioned identifying what the customer is looking for and then providing it or sending them somewhere else where they can find it. Keeping the customers happy, keeps 'em coming back - and we all benefit.