52 users online (1 members and 51 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 2

Status

Dedicated Hosting Question - Need Opinions

Hey All,

I am posting this here on behalf of a family member who is seeking a dedicated hosting solution where he can, in-turn, partition its space/bandwith off to individual users via reselling it.

My family member (brother) specifically needs something along this route as that he wants to get a website design company going where he can also sell hosting packages to them.

He asked me for some advice but I am really on familiar with hosting that is on par with Powweb. Can anyone provide any links and/or company names that you would suggest? While price is certainly important, he doesn't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel in regards to quality/uptime simply to save a few bucks.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Status

Re: Dedicated Hosting Question - Need Opinions

This thread needs to be moved to the Web Hosting forum. I'll ask Dave to do it.

What your family member probably wants is a reseller account. In a nutshell, that is a hosting account where you pay for the entire account and then sell portions of the disk space to your customers.

Dedicated hosting, on the other hand, involves leasing an entire server. There are a couple of flavors of this, dedicated and semi-dedicated. The dedicated server is one in which you manage everything about the server - security, statistics software, databases, etc. A semi-dedicated server is one in which your hosting company manages those things for you.

As far as cost goes, from the cheapest to the most expensive, you have the reseller account, semi-dedicated hosting, then dedicated hosting.

Since your family member is just getting started with a hosting company, I would recommend that he/she go with the reseller type of account. I don't have any recommendations for a specific company for that. I just wanted to explain the difference to you for the different types of accounts. Hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Status

Re: Dedicated Hosting Question - Need Opinions

Thank you very much, it's appreciated.

I too was thinking the reseller approach but really don't know what are considered solid companies in this regard. If anyone can comment, it would be appreciated!