34 users online (0 members and 34 guests)  

Thread: Router question

Related

1. A question!    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Another Question    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. AnOtHeR QuEsTiOn    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Question    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2

Status

Router question

Is it possible to piggy back one 4 port router onto the back of another 4 port router giving a possible 7 port router.?

(I need 6 ports but can only find 4 port routers)..

thanx..
    Glenvern

Status

Re: Router question

Yes, it is! We have just such an arrangement with our home network right now.

Side Note: We have a rat's nest of cables underneath my desk with all that. Nothing is labeled so we haven't a clue when we grab hold of a cable where it goes from there.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Status

Thanx for that info - thats just what I wanted to hear..

Now I can get the rest of the family off my back...

Wonder how many other houses have broadband in every room.???

Status

Mine!

Assuming you'll let me off the bathroom? I spend too much time in there already

Status

Hi Vinyl Junkie

I have tried in vain to get my second router to work in conjuction with the first but no joy - is there a trick to it.?

(I am taking RJ45 from port 4 on first router to WAN on second router is that how you did it.?)

The Routers in question are both Safecom's "SBRU 10100" (identical) so should not have any router conflicts..

Thanx...
    Glenvern

Status

I'm away from home at the moment, but as I recall, one port on the first router is used to connect to the second router. From there, the second router just connects to your computers on your network. When I get home from my trip, I'll see if I can work up a drawing of just what I'm talking about and post it.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Status

Hopefully I have got it sorted now - I apparently don't need two routers running piggyback - all I needed was one router and an 8 Port Switch plugged into it...

The '8 Port Switch' gives me the LAN and the Router just allows the whole lot to connect to the Internet..

(Why didn't I know that)..

Status

You were standing too close - you just needed to take a step back to see the bigger picture, which you did!
    I apologise for not jumping in sooner, but misread your first post and thought you already had two routers - I didn't want to suggest buying a switch as well if it could be done with two routers.
    Also (with hindsight) you could possibly have needed a crossover cable connecting the two routers - depending of whether the router's ports are configured as hubs or switches ...

New User

Status

Piggy-backing (dasiy-chain) is fine my only recomendation is that you enter the control program of your second router and turn off the routing function so that it operates as a switch which is possible with most, not sure with your model.
    personal preference is connecting a 8 port hub to port four of the router and the router will assign a ip address to each port effectivly giving you a total of 10 or 11 rj45 connections. best to check with your service provider.
    Last thing you might want to do is check with your service provider to see if they have any objections as 7, 10 or 11 computers can cause heavy bandwidth loads.
    **addition edit** on your question of how many homes have broadband access in every room i know in Canada most homes are being built as smartwire homes with a hub by the electrical panel.