52 users online (0 members and 52 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. problem while executing cgi script    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 9
  3. Executing an app and getting the results.    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Executing the PERL CGI Script    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. Executing program    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Exclamation Executing A CGI Script?

Hello All.

I have created a script, or I think I have created a script, which will convert temperatures using CGI and PERL. I have put the conv.pl file in my cgi-bin on my webserver, and used chmod and set it to 777, to hopefully allow it to executed. I then put my HTML page in a sub folder called PERL, and tryed to call the page. When I run the script i get the following error.

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What exactly does this mean in PERL terms. Is this something on the server which is wrong or is this a error which normally occours when the actual script is incorrect? If required i will post my code.

Thanks Again, MoFish.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Executing A CGI Script?

Your host may not allow for 777, that is extremely risky. Give 755 a try, if it does not work you may want to contact your host or the script writer.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status

Re: Executing A CGI Script?

Quote Originally Posted by h4x0rz3d
    Hello All.

<snip>

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What exactly does this mean in PERL terms. Is this something on the server which is wrong or is this a error which normally occours when the actual script is incorrect? If required i will post my code.

Thanks Again, MoFish.
    run the perl script from command line or term window to see if it works: i.e., /path/to/cgi-bin/conv.pl

if it runs with no errors, (you may have to insert values for the variables you are using for the test) then check your httpd.conf to see if .pl scripts are to be executed. i know that with slackware .cgi works out of the box, but not .pl or .shtml.

the 404 you are talking about sounds like you have your httpd.conf pointing to an error document other than the standard response. if that's your intent, check to make sure the path is right. if not, # that line back out.

hth