44 users online (0 members and 44 guests)  

Thread: gettin' started

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. getting started with ecommerce website    Forum: Affiliate Marketing and Reseller Programs
    Replies: 5
    New User

Status

gettin' started

well first off i go 2 certain sites and see as they grow being a webmaster always seemed fun to me but i never go for it because i feel like i won't succeed. I feel like i don't know much to start my own "big" site. I would consider myself just a basic person who doesn't know much bout this html, htm, etc. etc.....

well im only a junior in high school and speaking to my webmaster teacher he gave me hope and made me feel like i CAN do this.

Im barely getting started and made one little page off of a geocites hosted page.....it kinda sucks and i feel like a failure cuz i don't know what to add to my page....i plan on prusing it as a "web site" and add pages to it and fix it up so i can get traffic....

i don't know much bout webmastering and would please appricate it if someone can help me out on how to grow as i learn more and more of this kinda of thing. I also hope someone can tell me how, if possible, can i get traffic to my site....right now im very stuck in figuring out what to add to my site. It's based on rap music and i just want a place where rap fans can come together. I wanna make a forum but they are hard to make cuz i messed with them before so for right now i just want a site.

can someone help me get started and if possible how do i get traffic to my site and suggestions?

thanx 4 da support,
    badnews

Status

Re: gettin' started

If you just want to have a place for some rap fans to get together and chat, I'd suggest getting a host who offers mySQL and php.
    There may be some free ones, but if not charges start at around £2.99 ($5, I think) a month.
    Then install phpBB (www.phpbb.com) - it's really easy to get up and running - and gradually add bits as you develop the experience and confidence.
    The site will look fine with just a forum on it, and you can build a little website in your own time, not letting anyone see it until you're ready - and then only a select few who will offer helpful advice.
    Once you're happy with it (at least happy enough to show it) you can move it somewhere visible, and have the forums as part of the site.
    It's fairly easy - at least it will be by the time you get to that stage!

New User

Status

thanx 4 da help

as i posted earlier i am a junior in high school and to be honest im not very computer literate when it comes 2 terms and codes and other little things but still i find forums very intresting and always wanted one of my own. That being said do you think someone like me will be able to run a forum? A lot of things i don't understand for example the "mySQL and php" you posted up.

Outside the internet it wouldn't matter if i knew that but being someone that wants to run his own successful forum i feel pretty embarssed and wonder if i should even continue 2 try to make one. I go to this big forum which is based on the same type of idea that my forum will be and he always expriences problems everyonce and awhile. It's a great forum with nice banners, a little reputation points for members to give each other, a streaming type of radio, a online radio online for members to dj their own music, etc. etc etc.

My point is that he def. seems to know what he's doin' and his site is very successful with rap artists coming in and over 20,000 members, BUT i just keep thinking to myself if i SHOULD attempt this. Even though that guy knows what he's doing there are always problems sometimes and i just don't want to pay for a forum and then all of a sudden not know how to fix it if i ever should fall into that spot.

sorry 4 makin' this very long but im unsure weither i should put money in, later on if i get things going, for search engines and hosts etc. etc. if i don't know these things. From what you all know bout web site experience what advice would you give me?

thanx again for takin' the time to read and help me

Status

Try http://www.twospots.com/free-phpbb-forum-hosting - I've no idea how good it is, but it seems it will let you run a forum for free( they make their money from ads on your site) so you can concentrate on looking after the forum.
    Your job is to build the structure.
    You see how here we've got
    Code Forum which contains
    HTML Forum
    CSS Forum
    Website Scripts Forum
    Graphics Forum

Then there's
    Domain Name and Web Hosting Forums which contains
    One Stop Domains Forum
    Web Hosting Forum

You might have:
    Loud Rap which contains
    Quiet music with Loud vocals
    Loud music with Quiet vocals
    Loud music with Loud vocals

Quiet Rap which contains
    Quiet music and Quiet vocals
    No music just Quiet vocals

etc.
    As you can see, I know nothing about rap
    It's pretty easy to set up, and if you play around with it for free, you'll either decide to step up to your own host so you can either kill off the adverts (or try and make money with your own) - stay with the free one and try and build up a following there - or quit 'cos you get bored of it!
    There are more jobs, but you can always keep coming back here for advice once you're set up
    The hardest part is getting people to your site!

New User

Status

actually (haven't clicked ur link) im waitin' on invision power board....its free too

i already kinda set up categories and forums but more different

HOT SPOT
    chat
    rap news
    downloads

SUPPORT
    suggestions
    need help

^ kinda like that....real small so in case i DO get traffic they won't see all these sections with no posts and it won't look so empty kinda

anywayz thanx 4 da support and i'll click ur link later too

New User

Status

ok i've clicked ur link...thanx! u know i kinda have this strategy i got goin' just in case i do feel like i can handle a forum and would like 2 pay for one later.

my strategy is that i can register for different forums from different hosts.....its like i don't wanna pay 2 advertise my forum on search engines but i have a better chance of gettin' traffic with different forums in different locations

if i do feel like i like da forum thing then when i get a good lil' number of members on each forum i'll redirect them 2 one and then start from there with gettin' google ads and later on payin'

my guess is that i shouldn't get too many in case i get problems with all of them all at once because maintance would be very difficult....but i still like my "master" plan

Status

Sounds like a plan.
    As soon as you start thinking about merging the forums into one, check out www.phpbb.com (or the homepage for whatever board you're going to use)
    I know that phpBB has thousands of mods you can install, and they include ones for adding adverts and banners, either static or rolling, click-throughs, link-shares - loads of that kind of stuff.

New User

Status

awesome thanx 4 da link that will be very handy later

New User

Status

If you want a great series of books that will give you the info you need to build a website, this is the series I recommend:
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/index.php
    The other thing I suggest is getting very familiar with a vector graphics program. The favorite amongst graphic professionals is Adobe Illustrator. Even if you are awesome with scripts and code, your website will not look professional without great graphics.