106 users online (1 members and 105 guests)  

1. document.getElementById    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 8
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Error MySQL Error: 1064 - subqueries    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 0
    New User

custom 404 error document

Hello! I was just wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong here. I'm trying to construct a custom 'file not found' page for the website I'm making. However, this webpage won't be going up online for quite awhile - I'm making the site to organize content I have on my computer and to practice making layouts - the site is simply staying on my computer, where I can view it and/or work on it without wasting bandwith.

The index.html for this site is in the folder C:\site\. I've made a document titled (.htaccess), with this line in it:

ErrorDocument 404 C:\site\error.html

Both (.htaccess) and (error.html) are in the folder C:\site\. The custom error document doesn't work, though - I type in a page that I know doesn't exist, like C:\site\lalala.html, and I get the same old IE error page.

It seemed pretty simple to me, and I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated.

(If it isn't working because I need a server on my computer, then I currently have phpTriad and can view pages at http://localhost but I'm new with it and I'm not sure what I'm doing or where the error and .htaccess documents would have to go.)

Re: custom 404 error document

I've not had time to read this, but it looks promising ...