41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Thread: Text Sizing

Related

1. sizing pictures    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. text sizing    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 8
  3. window sizing    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Re sizing text through browser!    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Screen sizing    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
    New User

Status

Text Sizing

I am wondering if there is a way to lock the font size on only certain elements of a page so it cannot be resized.
    The site in question is here: http://www.thesocialexperiment.com

Currently I have the nav bar set as a background image and the text elements position over the respective parts of the toolbar. The problem is that if someone views pages at a larger than normal text size, the text elements don't fit within the navbar properly.

I realize that this is probably a nube question, but I am a nube when it comes to HTML. Only started from scratch learning it starting a month ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Status

Re: Text Sizing

I'm sure you can, but it's very bad practice as it cuts off a whole swathe of visitors to your site. Many people will alter the text size for personal preference, but many more will do it from necessity - eg. visually impaired people.
    It would be far better - for you and the visitors - to generate the menu bar with CSS, which will allow it to remain fluid.
    I always recommend www.cssplay.co.uk - a site with riduculous amounts of CSS techniques, some purely pointless, but many are real eye-openers to the possibilites of CSS.

Status

Re: Text Sizing

The only time you might possibly want to have a fixed font is when you offer a printed version of some page. Otherwise, take DeadMeatGF's advice and always let your visitors decide what size they want the font to be. Remember, they're really who you are making the page for.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more