58 users online (0 members and 58 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. index page... no good?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 2
  4. Inline Frame Scrollbar Manipulation    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Positioning a frame's scrollbar on the overall index page?

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum, as I'm not quite sure what type of coding would make this request possible.

I'm having a bit of trouble with a site I just started on. I'm making a personal site for myself which consists of frames. I'm not a big fan of frames myself, but found them to be the most convinient and practical way to put my design ideas into effect. However, I'm wanting to do something that is rather tricky.

I have multiple frames making up this site, but only the middle frame will have content. (All the other frames will be used for pieces of the background and such.) What I'm trying to do is place the middle frame's scrollbar on the overall outside of the index page (with the index page holding all of these frames.)

In other words, the scrollbar will be placed on the overall outside of the site (the scrollbar would look like any-other scrollbar on a non-framed site), but when you scroll it, it will only affect the content within the middle frame and nothing else. Is there any form of Javascript, HTML, or something else that can make this idea a reality? Here is a picture of a visual of what I'm trying to accomplish:
    I couldn't thank you all enough if you can solve this riddle for me. I've spent over a month searching the web for a solution but to no avail. I appreciate any time and help to this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HTML; 05-23-2006 at 09:43 AM.

New User

Status

Re: Positioning a frame's scrollbar on the overall index page?

Quote Originally Posted by ratiocinator

In other words, the scrollbar will be placed on the overall outside of the site (the scrollbar would look like any-other scrollbar on a non-framed site), but when you scroll it, it will only affect the content within the middle frame and nothing else. Is there any form of Javascript, HTML, or something else that can make this idea a reality? Here is a picture of a visual of what I'm trying to accomplish:

As JS solution might be to have frame 6 display on its left edge a graphic like below with different regions, which scroll frame 4 appropriately when hovered/clicked.
    __
    _
    ^
    __
    ^
    ^
    __
    ^
    __
    v
    __
    v
    v
    __
    v
    _
    __

If frame 4 is set to scrolling='no' it will not have a scrollbar, even though it can be scrolled by a script.
    Some things you'll need to know about:
    Addressing individual frames.
    Image maps.
    Assignng functions to event handlers.
    window.scrollBy,window.scrollTo
    setTimeout

.....or how to use PayPal

New User

Status

Re: Positioning a frame's scrollbar on the overall index page?

Thanks for the reply. I actually used a JavaScript scrollbar to do what you were suggesting and it worked fine within "Frame 4." However, I could not make the code work where you place the scrollbar in "Frame 6" and make it affect only "Frame 4." JavaScript is my definite weakness so I had no luck making this work. The only lead I had to go by was perhaps giving each frame a name and tell the scrollbar to target Frame 4's name.

The JavaScript scrollbar I tried using was: