45 users online (1 members and 44 guests)  

Related

1. How can we get the visitors ip address?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 2
  2. IP address help    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 7
  3. Replies: 17
  4. image in address bar    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3

Status

replace address bar URL with another

Now, in the past month or so, the script to place one's own alternative URL in the browser address bar was posted somewhere in this forum, but I sure as hades can't find it again.

Anyone have it or, better yet, have the URL to the thread that displays it?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Is this the thread you are looking for? http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...&highlight=url

If not, I just did a rebuild of the search index so you may have better luck with your search now

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    No, that one began with a discussion of cloaked forwarding and digressed into using JavaScript's makeWindow functions as an alternative to frames. I looked at that thread first, earlier this morning and again just now.

I'm pretty sure it was this forum that had the code pasted into a post responding to an inquiry from someone else about customizing the URL in the address bar to one's own preference versus the actual location of the web host server.

Be Yourself

Status
    hmm can't remember it or find it...

so say if you have this(just an example):

www.hotdogs.com

and you want to change it to:

www.dogshot.com?

the only other thing I can think of is changing the URL to your sites IP address. I don't know how to change the appearance of the URL...

maybe using PHP there's a trick or two you could do (I don't know how to change the URL but u can fool around with forwarding then echoing out something different if you wanted)...

Administrator

Status
    The only thing I can think of is using invisible frames.

You have one frame, 0 pixels high, another frame, 100% high. Then the 100% high frame just loads the correct site. This is the method 'Cloaked Forwarding' uses, and there isn't much else available.

Like Derek says, you could probably do something clever with php, but to be honest, it isn't worth it, also, php grabbing the pages for you means that any server-side scripting at the 'hidden' end would be mashed.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanks. My advancing age must be making me participate in these forums in my dreams, too. Cloaked or stealth or framed forwarding seems to be the only option - unless, I presume, one own's their own server and can assign an owned domain name to the IP of that server -- assuming that's how that works.

The primary consideration in all of this and what has gone unsaid is that the framed method of cloaking IS NOT SEARCH ENGINE FRIENDLY in that a lot of them stop at the first framing .htm "setup" page and never get into the content of the page. And, regardless of the fact that the best search engines spider the web host server and its sub-folders, the other engines are still used by people out there in the real world who have yet to discover the better ones.

In other words the web site page along with its"cloaking" method must consider the lowest common demoninator on the web - the newbie - in order to be as "user friendly" as possible.
    Last edited by benzden; 04-22-2002 at 07:51 AM.

New User

Status
    Hi
    I've tried using the invisible frames method, but as I expected the address bar shows the address of the page which shows the dimensions and locations of the frames etc, not the first frame showing. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to own, or have access to the server I want to say I am?
    Thanks
    Dave Nash

Status
    Probably, but I'm not sure - never having tried to do it. For what it's worth to those not having their own server, here's the code I found that's used by my redirector for some of my sites:

</head>
    <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0">
    <frame frameborder="0" name="frameName"
    src="URL to one of my seb hosts" noresize="noresize">
    <noframes>
    <body>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <a href="DUPE of URL to one of my web hosts">Enter Here</a><hr>
    [Plug for this redirection service with URL]
    </body>