38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. How does the client user access my intranet website    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 1
  3. Send an acces.mdb tp client    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Replies: 1

Status

Wink First website for a client, help me!

Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the end of making a website for someone and i need some help, although i think it looks *alright* i don't think its looks very professional, i was hoping i could get some feedback and general help with the way the website looks, and how to make it look more professional.

The URL of where i am now with the site is
    http://scla.myby.co.uk/nader/2/

If you are at all interested, here the layout i made before i decided to try and make it look more cool,
    http://scla.myby.co.uk/nader/

Thanks in Advance,

orisma

Status

Re: First website for a client, help me!

I've had a quick glance and have a couple of initial observations:
    Firstly, I prefer the central layout with the dark margins to the original. (When I mention margins below, I refer to the main body, not the dark margins that keep the layout centered)

On the home page, the left and right margins within the main body appear uneven. They might not be (I've not measured) but they look like they are which is a little offputting.
    The "Back to Top" link is indented left, which just looks odd.

On the courses page, there's no left margin, which immediately makes it appear odd compared to the homepage. This also sticks your left-indented "Back to Top" link into the grey margin.
    The "Where am I?" style list at the top of the content area says "Classes" but the link to the page said "Courses." If you have one of these lists, I prefer them to link back home - so I'd prefer to see [B]Home | Courses[/B] with the Home linking back.

I think a review of each page to standardise the layout would be the first step, and would be a small change that made a huge difference.
    And just so you know, the Flash header is annoying in IE7, as you have to click to activate, then click again to use (on default security settings) on every page. (Another reason I like the "Where Am I?" bar to link back home )
    Because it's a serious site, unless the client's asked otherwise, I'd be inclined to keep the logo etc. static, but that's a personal preference.

Nearly forget - again, may be a personal preference, but although I like the navigation bar sliding out, following the page is very jerky. I assume it's javascript? It might be worth trying a CSS based setup - as always I point to [URL=http://www.cssplay.co.uk]CSSplay[/URL] for some great techniques. Also, on my 1280/1024 resolution, it's so far to the left that it gets forgotten.
    Last edited by DeadMeatGF; 07-17-2006 at 02:59 AM.

Status

Cool Re: First website for a client, help me!

WOW! thanks a lot, all this stuff is really helpful. Ill get to work on it now, ironing out all these problems. i will post a message when i have made the changes.

Thanks a million Deadmeat

orisma