41 users online (1 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. MouseOvers - slow in IE    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Text Box Mouseovers    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Mouseovers    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Smile MouseOvers - slow in IE

Hi

I'm using the Rollover Image button in Dreamweaver to , logically enough, make a rollover image. Javascript I think.
    All is well when I preview on my machine, but if I upload to a site the images don't preload so I have to hover over them
    for a second or two before the image changes. This is only in IE6, in Firefox and Netscape 7 it changes instantly, as you would expect.

IS this a known problem with IE6 or Dreamweaver and if so are there any workarounds?
    Thank you for any pointers
    Mat

New User

Status

Re: MouseOvers - slow in IE

I've found that there's a bug in ie6.
    You can preload images in the cache, but ie6 wont load them, it downloads them again.
    I found a site that said if you use relative paths it gets round the problem, but I only use relative paths anyway.

Is there a solution?

Is it possible to preload rollover images in ie6?

Many thanks
    Mat

New User

Status

Question Re: MouseOvers - slow in IE

Hi

I found this is another forum...
    "I think we discovered our problem with the image preloading script. This has to do with another topic that surfaced and using relative vs. absolute URL's.

We encountered an unusally high number of 404 errors relative to our -over images. After investigating for hours, all evidence led back to the external .js file containing the preload script.
    We use ImageReady to slice, dice and generate js and css. ImageReady by default will use paths like images/file.gif. It is assuming that all of your image calls will be from the root level which they usually are not.
    After participating in the other thread and finding out that you can use this...
    images/file.gif
    ...which tells the browser to look at the images folder in the present directory. Or you can use this...
    /images/file.gif
    ...which tells the browser to look at the images folder at the root level.
    We changed all the file references in the external .js file and have had no image preloading problems since then. You also need to make sure that you change the paths on the image code in your html.
    This was a great find as it eliminated other issues we were having when using relative URL's that usually look like this... ../../images/file.gif "
    But it doesnt make any difference to me.
    Is there any reason why it would work for others but not me?
    I've tried adding './' or '/' or the full path including http:// etc.

Many thanks for any pointers

Mat

New User

Status

Exclamation Re: MouseOvers - slow in IE

I've also tried loading the graphics on the same page so they are definitely cached, but ie6 is still slow to swap.
    I can still see it saying 'downloading...' in the bottom info bar.
    ie6 is fine when previewing offline, so it's not that it can't do it, just when you're online

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers from experts/ things to try

Many thanks

Mat

New User

Status

Re: MouseOvers - slow in IE - onmouseover

i had a problem that sounded similar. to check if it is the same problem try this:

1. browse to your web page using ie
    2. with the page still up disconnect your computer from the internet
    3. do your onmouseover stuff

for me, only the preloaded onmouseover images appeared; and now the the solution might seem obvious. i had only precached my onmouseover images. for some reason telling ie to precache the onmouseover images was like telling it not to cache anything else. wtf!? only ie had the problem; with IE it seems you MUST pre-cache both the normal image and the onmouseover image:

<head>
    <script type="text/javascript">

image1 = new Image();
    image1.src = "images/button-physiotherapy-on.jpg";

image2 = new Image();
    image2.src = "images/button-physiotherapy-on-onmouseover.jpg";
    </script>
    </head>

there were no problems either way with;
    • chrome
    • firefox
    • safari
    • opera

here is a prototype of the page, now working

• http://www.soundlearning.com.au/physiotherapy.html

i am not a web developer; i just did it for a friend. all the graphics, html, javascript and css stuff was learned thanks to:

and if my friend likes it, the final landing place for this page will be:

regards
    byron :-)
    and kerry [quayle] wyer

learn to read
    http://www.soundlearning.com.au