89 users online (0 members and 89 guests)  

Related

1. Antivirus Software Suggestions?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 11
  2. get help for SQL Server 2005    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 4
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Antivirus software    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Question Norton Antivirus 2005 reinstall error issue; help please if you can!

I run Norton Antivirus 2005 (NAV2005) on a Win98 PC. When it recently expired, I installed a new version of NAV2005 from a CD (NAV 2006 only runs on WinXP). When I installed the new version, it automatically uninstalled the old version first. During the new install I was never asked for the Prodcut Key Code. When the new program launched, a message displayed stating that the program had already "Expired", showing the dates of the original version that I had previously uninstalled. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the new CD 10 times now, always with the same result. I went to Symantec's knowledge base and found a program called "Norton Removal Tool", ran it, rebooted, reinstalled NAV2005 - same problem with the same old expration dates. I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Status

Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 reinstall error issue; help please if you can!

You will need to turn in a support ticket with them about your problem. I'm guessing that they will provide a file for you which will clean up your registry.

I'm a bit concerned that the version of Norton that you tried to install is for a different operating system than the one you have, and would most certainly recommend that you NOT try reinstalling it after you get your registry cleaned up.

When you ask for their help, see if they have a version of Norton that will work with Windows 98 and whether or not you can exchange what you bought for that. If they don't have anything like that, you should probably look for other anti-virus software that works with Windows 98.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

New User

Status

Thumbs up Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 reinstall error issue; help please if you can!

Thanks for the advice. I actually got the problem resolved yesterday via Symantec's PriorityCare 800 Support line (800-927-3991), and with NO fee. They did acknowledg a bug at their end causing this problem, and did correct my individual situation by using my NAV 2005 Account ID # and Product Key Code to: 1) verify that my version of NAV was valid and not a bootleg copy; then 2) edit my subscription date in their own server, permitting me to update my online verification. They were very helpful and stayed on the line with me for over an hour to make certain that the issue was 100% resolved - and I repeat, at NO COST (even though this support line does charge a fee). Then, after running Norton Live Update several times, I was then back in business with up-to-date virus protections, and a subscription for another year. Next year, I plan to use another, less cumbersome anti virus program. Norton's quality control apparently dropped a few notches when they were purchased by Symantec a few years back. I guess we can't blame Peter Norton for taking Symantec's money and running - all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    You will need to turn in a support ticket with them about your problem. I'm guessing that they will provide a file for you which will clean up your registry.

I'm a bit concerned that the version of Norton that you tried to install is for a different operating system than the one you have, and would most certainly recommend that you NOT try reinstalling it after you get your registry cleaned up.

When you ask for their help, see if they have a version of Norton that will work with Windows 98 and whether or not you can exchange what you bought for that. If they don't have anything like that, you should probably look for other anti-virus software that works with Windows 98.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Status

Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 reinstall error issue; help please if you can!

I'm glad to hear that you got your problem solved.

If you should decide to switch anti-virus software when this license expires, I highly recommend Panda Internet Security. I've been using it for quite a while now and have been very happy with both the software and customer service.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more