19 users online (0 members and 19 guests)  

Related

1. Lost IE    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. lost once again    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Lost Again    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Lost As Ever    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. i'm lost    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
    New User

Status

Unhappy I'm so lost. plz help

Basically over the past 2 months I've been studying MySQL and PHP codes and queries to send, etc. My soon-to-be boos sent me some information so that i can "play around" with some code and whatnot in hopes that i can learn the coding more indepth.
    This was the information he sent me:
    Domain name, ftp server, ftp user name, ftp password, database name, DB user name, and DB password.
    I have absolutely no clue what to do with this information. I just cant figure out how to actually install MySQL and PHP so that i can access this information and begin my work.
    I've read peoples info that was already in this forum but half the time the sites they have posted for downloading the stuff i need arent even up and running anymore.
    Basically my question is: Can someone be so kind as to give me some information on installing both MySQl and PHP so that i can begin figuring this stuff out?
    Thank you

Status

Re: I'm so lost. plz help

Hi skaltum,

Welcome to the forum.

Since what you need to know is beyond the scope of a single post, I suggest you invest in Sam's http://www.samspublishing.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0672326728&rl=1 PHP and MySQL Web Development ($44.95 from their website). It is the one that I used to get started. It has everything you need to know and holds your hand while playing with some test databases.

It tells you how to install both PHP and MySQL.

I'm sure that O'Reilly has something similar. This is one that I picked up on a whim. It made me change my mind about using perl to connect to a database.

hth

U

Status

agreed, that is a great book. i still use it a lot.
    robert koons

Status

PHP: http://www.php.net/downloads.php
    MySQL: http://mysql.org/downloads/
    I will be honest, when I teach MySQL and PHP, I usually have the student just get a webhosting account as someplace like: http://sandlizardz.com/iron_plan.html
    Cheap, but a good environment. That way you can get your hands dirty with php and MySQL without having to hassle with the setup. Of course you will want to learn it eventually, I found that if you can get in and play with the code, you are generally more motivated to learn the install portion. Besides that, sometimes install can be a real pain in the arse.
    I would highly recommend that you get MySQLFront. This savesme a whole load of time with the DB side of things, its a great GUI and easy to use.

There are also a gazillion sites with PHP/mySQL tutorials out there, it just takes a little looking.

YM
    Last edited by yoemanspiffy; 08-29-2006 at 01:47 PM.

New User

Status

Hi...basically all you need to do is find a website like this www.php.com or www.mysql.com and go to download and thats it...

New User

Status

Dont be sad...in IT world everything is possible what you need is to be patient and to study your project...