42 users online (2 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. downloading    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Downloading    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
  3. downloading from a website    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Downloading    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Downloading files

I am teaching myself html and have a little problem with files that we want our users to be able to download from our website. Specifically, they are AutoCAD dwg files. So I used the following code:

<li><b><a href="dwg/filename.dwg">Acclaim C1</b> (94k)</a>

I hoped it would call up a saveas box of some sort. However, what I get is a "The page cannot be found" error. I know that the file is there, in the correct dwg folder, and named correctly. Thinking it may be something on my local IIS server, I uploaded the page and file to my live webserver, but with the same results.

I guess what I am looking for is some code (html or javascript) that would force a saveas dialog box to popup and allow the user to then decide if they want to download it or not.

Oh...one more caveat...the code must work for IE, Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera.

Thanks to anyone that can offer help.
    Brian

Status

Re: Downloading files

You've not nested your tags correctly, that may be causing a problem.
    Try
    Code:
    <li><a href="dwg/filename.dwg"><b>Acclaim C1</b> (94k)</a>
    and see if that improves matters.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

good catch on the improperly formated tags but that should only relate to the markup and not the bad location.
    Code:
    href="dwg/filename.dwg
    are you sure the file is located inside the dwg folder? Are you sure the dwg folder is located at root?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

I have the exact same problem as this. When I click on a link to a .dwg file, I get an error message. If I right-click and SaveAs, I get an error message.
    The file is in the right folder, the folder is in the right location, I can go through ftp to the folder where the file is saved and download it and it opens fine. So, the file just won't work as a link.
    I can work work around by putting every drawing in a zip folder, but does anyone know another solution to this problem?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you have.

Status

I've found some vague references to MIME types and a couple of references to IE security settings, but nothing that seemed concrete.

New User

Status

Had the exact same problem trying to post DWG files for download. Here is the solution.
    Open IIS (6.0 I assume since you are having this problem to begin with), right click on server node just under "Internet Information Services" at the top of the tree in the left pane. Choose Properties, then MIME Types... Add a new one, using .dwg for the Extension, and drawing/x-dwg for the MIME type. OK your way out, and you should be all set.
    Here is a MS doc on this issue:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/326965
    Hope this helps.
    Jnuw