38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Thread: stupidity?

New User

Status

Question stupidity?

could someone explain to me what exactly ftp is? i keep hearing about it but everything i can find on it is meant for people who already know what it is!:confused please give me the "for dummies" version? thanks!!! :

New User

Status

okay

"ftp" file transfer prtocall

means you do your work in htm,html,php etc... whatever the server allows you to use.

you name your front page that you want to show such as

www.yahme.com = index.htm in ftp thats what i had to name it to be yahme.com.

then after that say that you wanted yahme.com/codes.htm

you would have to name that page codes.htm

to get rid of the htm/html you would have to start a new sub directorie. Right click click start new subdirectorie.

now within that subdirectorie you would need to name the file you wanted such as codes.htm would end up being
    index.htm which would turn into www.yahme.com/codes
    with no htm.

now that you know what to save your files in.
    time to learn how to upload them.

first get a ftp program. i use Ws_ftp you might be able to get a "free" Download somewhere but i don't know.
    you open your ftp file by typing in your domain name www.yahme.com then your user name would be something around that area like yahoo.com or grallon.com something like that. put your password in which is the same one that you use for your server.

open the files transfer left to right remember name in .htm
    and your front page would be index.htm or html whatever it allows you to use. But, most likely htm or html are the most common inless their either good programmers etc... which i'm not lol. but i do use ftp for my site

www.yahme.com
    backdoors to yahoo games lol

New User

Status
    uhm..thank you for trying to help..but..you just MAJORLY confused me....i mean a REALLY dumb dummy type version. here is my situation- i have never madea webpage without useing geocities page builder. i know NOTHING. ok well i know SOME things, i have been studying html, but basically , im a moron when it comes tot his stuff. *looks sad*

Be Yourself

Status
    really I don't know what he's talkign about either lol:

FTP:

File Transfer Protocal

This is how you get your site on the internet. You make your site on your hard drive, then you upload it to the server using an FTP program. WSFTP and SmartFTP are good ones. Basically with whatever domain name you buy, you'll get a certain address that you use to connect to (they should tell you), a name, and a password. You type those in, then it connects you to the server, and you can drag all your files from your desktop to your server.

Basically one thing I think he was trying to say was for every SUB-DOMAIN (www.yoursite.com/subfolderexample/index.html), you have to make an index.*(whatever) to. Like www.yoursite.com's default page when they type it in the address bar would be the index page. Such as it would refer www.yoursite.com to this www.yoursite.com/index.html.

Really you should download one of the two I told you to see what I mean, then it should all come to you

any more questions? I can see kinda where creature had trouble explaining this.

New User

Status

thanks

ok that made ALOT more sense. so, if thats what ftp means, what are programs called ftp servers? aer the actual servers or are they just programs that use ftp and connect you to whatever server you're going to use?

Be Yourself

Status
    when I first started web designing I use angelfire. On angelfire(wouldn't recommend it), you don't have an FTP account, but instead it has an upload page where you upload files manually via form submissions (using a form). Maybe that's it? I don't know what an FTP server is if it's not...