42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Thread: Please Tell Me

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Administrator

Status
    I use a text editor - www.textpad.com

Is very good for multi-page stuff (notepad wont), and also has syntax highlighting for PHP, Perl, CSS, HTML, ASP & bash. All of which I code in when I am at work
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    I have tried other editors but keep coming back to homesite. It has all the features I use the most plus it allows me to be lazy and click in most of my tags........saves a heap o typing!

nitewing

Edited by nitewing: there is a downside to it though, the design frame is not what it is cracked up to be (I never use it anyway) and the whole shebang is a memory hog.
    I usually run rambooster a few times when I am coding.
    I feel the tradeoff is acceptable.
    Last edited by nitewing; 09-26-2002 at 08:25 AM.
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status
    I use a free editor called `1st page 2000`
    You still need to use html but it does have a `preview` facility so you can view what your work will look like after you have uploaded it. This allows you to tweak it up to your hearts content.
    Last edited by HTML; 09-28-2002 at 08:22 AM.

Status
    I just hit the view button and look at it in my browser

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status
    Well if it suits you don`t change.
    The ad with 1st page is that the htm code comes up color coded as you type and errors are easy to spot as you go along but, as I said, if you are suited with your method then stick to it.
    Last edited by HTML; 09-28-2002 at 08:22 AM.

Status
    HS is color coded for everything! html, php,css,js, etc.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    The web page builder programs are probably good for those who are only creating less than a half-dozen pages and don't plan to revise them much - a population of web site builders I'm not sure even exists out there.

I've used QEdit for web pages, personal bookkeeping, financial forms, letter writing and almost 99% of every other writing I do. For web pages, it allows me to use the Alt-6 keys to insert the top portion of any generic web page, Alt-7 the middle navigation bar and Alt-8 the bottom portion of the page. Dozens of other key combinations allow other functions.

I have all my templates stored in the F:\local\ folder and can access them for insertion into any web page file by hitting Alt-R and typing in their 8 digit filename, such as top.htm instead of Alt-6 for the top of file template.

Changing templates is merely a function of highlighting the new data and hitting Alt-F2 to overwrite it back onto the extant F:\local\top.htm file. Wish I had developed that system years ago rather than in the past 12 months - would have made creating those 800+ web pages a lot easier.

I figure that by the time I croak, I'll have perfected the art of web site creation and maintenance - and, of course, will take it all to the grave -- leaving others to enjoy the process on their own.

New User

Status
    Sorry Benzden but I must disagree slightly.
    I use 1st page 2000 web editor. My site is built from raw html code and consists of 24 pages. It gets altered on a regular basis and I enjoy every minute of it. I get a kick out of knowing that I taught myself the html code.
    The site reflects my hobby and gets updated at least once a week.
    I know that there is a vast difference from your 800 pages but I suspect that your site is work related, mine is strictly for pleasure.
    p.s. That`s a bit rotten, taking your secrets to the grave with you :-)

Status
    My site is better than 300 pages and is amonster to upkeep which is why I stay on it all the time.

It started off as my learning exercise from a how to book and grew so I knew nothing about how to make it where I could ease the maintanence.

I've come a long way in those days but implimenting caretaker features is still beyond me so I treat it like I do house cleaning......stay on top of it so nothing becomes a major, time consuming effort...unless of course it is redesign time.

Nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status
    care to reveal the url nitewing?

Status
    www.starlightastrology.com

Enjoy!

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status
    Oh heck, ever wished you hadn`t asked something
    Sorry nitewing only joking.
    I`m not into that stuff myself but the site looks super. I have been instructed to add it to our favs list by, and for, my wife to study. She loves that sort of thing.

Status
    Warhorse,

How can one take 'secrets' to the grave when they are all online with source code available to all - and I just outlined the techniques, above, that are part of those secrets. If someone wants a book about it all, they can write it - I've got a dozen books to write that are more important than that one and none of them will probably ever get written except what eventually ends up online.

Hey, if you're using an editor and HTML codes, you're not using a web page builder. You're doing what most of the rest of us are - coding from the seat of our pants on the fly with a lot of debugging for missing quote marks and ending tags.

Everything I do online is for pleasure - that's why there's no pressure, stress and problems with having to please anyone but me.

Status
    Thanks for the kind words warhorse, and special thanks to your wife!

Peace, love, and prosperity to you and yours,

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status
    Benzden I love it.
    I use 1st page 2000 and all my work is self taught raw code and yes the odd < " . / does get missed. The elated feeling when it is eventually found makes it all worth while.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last